Key Post: Bluetooth phone handsets

Z

zag

Have recently got Skype (phone over the internet thing) up and running at home and found the quality to be excellent. The only problem is that I am currently using a headset and it isn't the same experience as using a handset like for a normal phone.

Does anyone know if there is such a beastie as a headset which has a wireless link to a USB jobbie stuck into the phone. This would basically emulate the functionality of a DECT phone - you could walk around the house with the handset which was wirelessly connected to the PC which was connected to the outside world over broadband.

I presume bluetooth comes into the picture somewhere.

The rates for calling the UK, US, Australia and much of Europe are only 2c a minute 24 hours a day, so if you have broadband and someone living abroad it seems like a pretty good deal.

z

4brains

That looks great! - I'd never heard of such technology, so I investigated it.

Does this handset not work?
[broken link removed]

(Under accessories on the skype website)

zag,
Are there any charges associated with local calls on the skype phone?

forum

I searched the skype forum here [broken link removed]

for wireless and it gave a location to get a bluetooth set ...

Re: forum

Just saw this thread was woken up and I thought I'd let you know that I successfully used a bluetooth USB adaptor with a Motorla headset to call using Babble.net. You still have to dial from the PC/laptop but once the call was connected you can roam around the house.

Back