Key Post: Best Internet Service Providers for home use.

Re: Check the small print

Thanks ClubMan

There is a €30 sign up fee, but it's waived for those who sign up before 31 December 2002.

I see they have a 150 hours limit, with normal call charges applying to the access. For someone going online for more than 150 hours a month, the €30 charge represents a saving of over €80 compared to eircom's charges. The break even point is around 40 hours a month.

As there are five of us using the Internet, it seems like a no brainer to me. Are there any snags/pitfalls I'm overlooking?

Regards
Homer

Hi Homer - There is some [broken link removed], where the UTV management have been participating on the thread. They stated that the 150 hours per month is a 'soft limit' rather than a hard one. So they might let you go a bit over 150 (I think they actually mention 170-175) before they start charging you. It looks like they are trying to establish the principle that this is NOT an unlimited service. In the US, with free local calls, many people just leave their internet connection 'always on', hence the phenomenon of having somebody in the 'snoozing' section of the chat room (i.e. he's still connected, but he's actually asleep in bed!).

Thanks Rainyday

I called UTV to ask about some of the detail set out in their terms and conditions. The person I spoke to told me that there would be no charge if we went slightly over the 150 hour limit, so that seems to be consistent with what they're saying on www.boards.ie.

Regards
Homer

RE: UTV

Hi Homer

Did you sign up? Was it worthwhile to switch? I am thinking of moving to either Esat or ITV.

Thanks

Marion :hat

Re: RE: UTV

Hi Marion - I've signed up for UTV - The internet service is working fine. It's probably too soon to draw any conclusions on their telephony charges, as I've only been billed for half a month.

UTV Internet

If any of you are planning on signing up for [broken link removed], you might want to email me at [email protected] so I can 'refer' you. Under their current offer, there is nothing in it for you, I'm afraid - but they are offering me a €50 discount for every user that signs up based on my referral.

I've no connection with UTV, other than as a customer.

Regards - RainyDay

Hi Rainyday,

you could always split your gain with people: €25 per head ;)

regards

G>

Add on charges for modems and connection etc. Slower than others for the same price.

I'm happy with UTV-works out cheaper at €29.99 per month for phone and broadband. Smart and NTL are probably cheaper. Do a search or browse the forum-plenty of discussion on this. Even more on www.boards.ie

Why pay more for less?

Back