Key Post Key Post: Beds/Mattresses

P

piggy

Hi,

I'm looking for a really nice bed. Preferably wooden, 5ft, and willing to pay up to 800 euro for the bedframe itself.

From looking around I've seen a lot of average looking, run of the mill beds. Was in Bargaintown yesterday. Wasn't very impressed with the quality though. Pretty boring looking bed frames. Cheap...but just not very exciting.

I found one place with a few nice beds in Tallaght, opposite the square. House of Mexico.

Anyone know where else in Dublin I could source unusual beds?

Re: Places that sell nice & unusual beds?

Just to update this a little www.furniture.ie is an interesting site with some nice beds and furniture in general.

Furniture

Thanks for the comments Piggy, We run www.furniture.ie
If you are looking for something very unusual then I recommend you email me [email protected] with your specific request as have come across some very unusal beds.

We are currently building up Furniture.ie to allow consumers find furniture for their home from one location. We are adding about 20-30 new wooden bedframes in the next week so we should have a good offering in that are soon. Any questions contact me. Just came across this thread and see our site mentioned, thought I would reply.

Regards,
Richard Moyles

Re: Furniture

Oh right...will do thanks Richard.

I take it you'll be adding those 20-30 new wooden bedframes to your website too?

Just for the record I don't have any affiliation with furniture.ie...just in case it looks like a funny coincidence :)

furniture

Living Quarters on Sth. Great Georges St. have nice furniture at a reasonable price. We bought our cherry wood bed frame from there four years ago.

Re: furniture

Thanks guys,

I'll check out Dun Laoighaire and Georges St over the weekend.

Last year I bought what I consider to be a good bed from www.irishtrading.co.uk . As can be seen from their website they hold open days in various hotels around the country. We went along, liked what we saw and coughed up the cash, had a problem with the bed after a few weeks and it was replaced with a new one, no questions asked. Same story a couple of months later and again no questions just a replacement straight away. Both problems weren't anything major and I'd expected the kind of resistance you'd usually get from places like Reids but nothing of the sort just a prompt replacement.

try Diamond Furniture - Long Mile or Swords, ID Design Swords - they have this furniture where you can mix and match different woods, headboards and legs to make the bed of your choice - not too expensive either.

Last year I bought what I consider to be a good bed from www.irishtrading.co.uk

Their [broken link removed] is quite nice.

I actually quite like Pine 49 from [broken link removed]. I originally saw it in HouseOfMexico. I think pretty soon I'm going to have too many choices!! :)

furniture

Glad to see you are getting good suggestions, you can also have a look at product 517 on www.Furniture.ie

Also some other remommended sites you visit, www.flanagans.ie ,[broken link removed] and finally maybe what you are looking for is here. www.chicane.ie their Log Bed
I hope that this helps, Only came across this forum and find it good. I would be glad to hear any suggestions on how we can improve www.furniture.ie

Regards,
Richard Moyles

This is a good place to find furniture/beds too.

I came across [broken link removed] bed from imbuefurniture.

Unusual Beds

I am at the moment having a pine sleigh bed made for me by everythinginpine at the Red Cow. I was visiting the Trade Show for the Irish Trading Company at the time so I just called in here. I liked the beds in the Irish Trading Company, just the mahogany was too dark and wouldnt match my room style. They have a lovely selection of wooden beds in everythinginpine quite similar to the ones in Forde Furniture, dark kind of Mexican Pine rather than the ordinary Pine types.

It is costing me €549 for a 4"6 double, I think it would be about €599 for a 5ft. He was doing the price for me to match that of the Irish Trading Company. Lovely selection of lockers and mirrors and mattresses to match. Dont just look at the selection, speak to the sales people because they can get a various selection of beds made to order for you, not just whats on the floor.

Yeah...it was ridiculously expensive too sueellen. So I decided on the more sensible option for a first time buyer. I'm going to do it all on the cheap! :)

In the end I went with a (without the mattress). Couldn't decide on anything else and as it was fairly cheap it's not the end of the world if I decide on something else in a couple of years.
Anyone know what Argos beds are like? I never thought I'd buy a bed from a catalogue but I like the look of it anyway and it can't be that bad if it's solid pine can it?

Hi Piggy,

A previous thread on Argos which refers to delivery of beds rather than quality

Re: Hotel Bed

Hi Summer,

The link is [broken link removed]
You must have inside knowledge, as I stayed in Travelloge in Derry and it was the Kayfoam Bed that was in it. However I stand to be corrected, Aren;t I a little sad to be pulling up the sheets to see who made the bed, But when you are in the business, you are interested.

RM

Some other posts

xtbertie
How much for a good quality mattress?

How much should I expect to pay for a good quality double mattress? Is there god brands, brands to stay away from?

Murt10
Frequent poster
Re: How much for a good quality mattress?

I have a silentnight mattress I bought some years ago. I find it great, fairly expensive at the time if memory serves me, but if you are only going to buy one every 10 - 15 years so what.

Murt

Marion

I bought my spinal support mattresses (11" deep) a number of years ago. I recall being told that they were made in Oldcastle Co Meath by a company called Kelletts. So you could try contacting them. I don't know if they sell directly. But, probably worth a try. They will be able to give details of stockists.

Telephone: 049 8541488
Fax: 049 8542309

They are extremely comfortable to sleep in.

Two of my friends have since purchased the exact same mattresses for their homes.

Marion

janeymac

I recently bought a Silentnight mattress in Harvey Norman's - cost €450 for a 5ft but it is quite thick and very comfy. Go for a recognised brand like Silentnight or Respa.

Marion

Respa beds are [broken link removed]

Marion

mollser
Frequent poster

if I may, have bought a Sealy Pillow latex 5ft mattress in Arnotts sale at almost half price (whole bed was down from €2k to 1,300, mattress about €800 I think), and it is the best thing ever. It has an extra layer of foam on the top for extra comfort. That sale may still be on...

Given you spend a third of your life in the thing, its not worth scrimping on

xtbertie

thanks for all the advise. Still shopping around

Any thoughts on odearest? Being quoted 350 -400 for what the guy in the shop reckons are the best odearest

Doogo
Mattresses

Looking for a king-size mattress (me and misses d are finally replacing standard 4"6 double bed - which will be a great relief to my 6"4 frame!)

would like to hear opinions on the best mattresses out there and how much one would be willing to pay to ensure that the right one is purchased (am a big believer that this is one item that should not be skimped on)

furntech
Re: Mattresses

The latest in Mattress developments is Foam visco elastic foam, some details here,
Mirrorform

Also, tempur and kaymed. although they are not featured on Furniture.ie yet. Thanks

Kiddo
Re: Mattresses

We have a Sealy mattress which we bought in Arnotts last year. It cost us €600 but it is just so comfortable. I'd suggest a vist there as they encourage you to test out all different types of mattress to find the one most suitable for you both.

When faced with your situration, we got a Restform inflatable mattress from www.furniture.ie which is good and takes up little space.

Best futons I'm aware of in town are to be had in Living Quarters in George's Street. Not cheap, but great quality.
[broken link removed]

Back