Key Post: Anyone using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer

Re: >>Anyone using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer

I know within IBM it can be very difficult to get people to switch applications, I swear by Firefox and try to encourage people to change over to it, but it's gonna be a slow process. Good to see them leading the way though.

For those unwilling to switch to Firefox, while waiting for IE7 to be launced with support for tabbed browsing, you may be interested to know that the MSN Toolbar 2.5 (for IE) adds tabbed browsing to IE.

(This toolbar is a competitor to Google's Toolbar. Now if only Google Toolbar was available for Firefox... although there is an [broken link removed]alternative which Google themselves promote.)

MonsieurBond said:
For those unwilling to switch to Firefox, while waiting for IE7 to be launced with support for tabbed browsing, you may be interested to know that the MSN Toolbar 2.5 (for IE) adds tabbed browsing to IE.

(This toolbar is a competitor to Google's Toolbar. Now if only Google Toolbar was available for Firefox... although there is an [broken link removed]alternative which Google themselves promote.)

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I came across a very useful extension for Firefox called [broken link removed]. This allows you to turn on or off Javascript for particular trusted sites e.g. online banking sites. This is useful as even though Firefox is still widely regarded as more secure than IE, there have been some fears of Firefox Javascript vulnerabilities recently.

I'm a recent convert to Firefox, but I've a feeling I may be missing something obvious. I've installed the 'TabBrowser Preferences' extension.

I want a quick way of opening links in a new tab instead of a new window. So when I view a list of threads on AAM, I'd love to be able to shift-click or similar and have each thread open in a new tab. At present, each tab opens in a new window. Any advice?

Havn't used that extension, but under tools > options > advanced is the section for firefox's regular tabbing behaviour.

If you've a three button mouse, middle clicking a link usually brings it up in a new tab.

I want a quick way of opening links in a new tab instead of a new window. So when I view a list of threads on AAM, I'd love to be able to shift-click or similar and have each thread open in a new tab. At present, each tab opens in a new window. Any advice?
Right click the link, select 'open in new tab'.

Another way of opening a new tab is to double click on a blank space next to the ready open tabs, or ctrl-T

http://www.payback.ie

Berni said:
If you've a three button mouse, middle clicking a link usually brings it up in a new tab.
I should have explained that I'm using a laptop with a built-in trackpad and no external mouse. So I've no middle button, and the option of pressing both buttons on the trackpad simultaenously is really arkward & cumbersome.
umop3p!sdn said:
Right click the link, select 'open in new tab'.
Yeah - I'm doing this already, but it's not exactly convenient - the right-click, then mouse-down to 'open a new tab' then 'left-click' to select - there must be a better way.

umop3p!sdn said:
Another way of opening a new tab is to double click on a blank space next to the ready open tabs, or ctrl-T
This would give me a blank new tab - right? This isn't really what I'm looking for either.

Yeah - I'm doing this already, but it's not exactly convenient
I don't give it much thought any more, I suppose I've become accustomed to it. (You can use right mouse to select as well BTW)

One other option you could try, is to open a bunch of blank tabs at the beginning of a session, then drag the link to the required tab. Or even easier, just drag the link up to where the tabs (to the right of them), and new tab will be opened.

umop3p!sdn said:
I don't give it much thought any more, I suppose I've become accustomed to it. (You can use right mouse to select as well BTW)

One other option you could try, is to open a bunch of blank tabs at the beginning of a session, then drag the link to the required tab. Or even easier, just drag the link up to where the tabs (to the right of them), and new tab will be opened.

Under Firefox 1.5 (and possibly in previous versions) under Tools - Options - Tabs, the following option:

Force links that open new windows to open in:
- the same window
- a new tab

Actually, according to Firefox help, this is a hidden feature, so either the help is out of date, or else it is enabled when you install the Tabbed Browser Preferences add-on.

umop3p!sdn said:
The drag-and-drop is a nice option - best one for me that I've seen so far. Only drawback is the need to open a finite number of blank tabs up-front, or the fairly narrow target space to the right of the existing tabs to get it to open a new one each time.

MonsieurBond said:
Under Firefox 1.5 (and possibly in previous versions) under Tools - Options - Tabs, the following option:

Force links that open new windows to open in:
- the same window
- a new tab

Actually, according to Firefox help, this is a hidden feature, so either the help is out of date, or else it is enabled when you install the Tabbed Browser Preferences add-on.
Thanks MrB - As I've loaded the TabBrowser Preferences extension, I don't get this specific option anywhere within my options. I've changed any option that I can see to open a new tab instead of a new window, but still if I 'shift-click' a thread on an AAM forum listing, I get a new window instead of a new tab.

RainyDay said:
I should have explained that I'm using a laptop with a built-in trackpad and no external mouse. So I've no middle button, and the option of pressing both buttons on the trackpad simultaenously is really arkward & cumbersome.
Perhaps you need to reconfigure the touchpad options so to tweak the timings for detecting a pseudo middle mouse button press from pressing the two physical touchpad mouse buttons?

Yeah - I'm doing this already, but it's not exactly convenient - the right-click, then mouse-down to 'open a new tab' then 'left-click' to select - there must be a better way.
Ctrl + left mouse/touchpad button click opens a link in a new tab in case that's of any use?

While we are on the subject of Firefox...

I seem to be getting kicked out of AAM while using it and I have to log in again.

It seems more reliable on IE.

I generally do have Firefox problems though. When I type in a URL and I get some recent URLs I have visited, if I click on the one I want it brings me up some other site I have visited recently.

Brendan

I've never had any problems with Firefox and use it with AAM all the time.

CCOVICH said:
I've never had any problems with Firefox and use it with AAM all the time.

Ditto. I think it an excellent browser and with all the extensions available, it can be as user friendly as you like. Some favourite ones of mine include [broken link removed] Weather, another plugin for Google shows previews of the pages in the search results ([broken link removed]), [broken link removed] which adds a close button to each Tab.

ClubMan said:
Ctrl + left mouse/touchpad button click opens a link in a new tab in case that's of any use?
That is exactly what I was looking for - Many thanks - It works a treat.

As it happens I only discovered it by experimentation when you asked! :D

Since we're on the subject... I 'm using fasterfox as an extension and accidently discovered yesterday that you can get updates to the extensions by clicking on tools> extensions > find updates ( I thought this was a reference to firefox updates :eek: ). In any event there was an update to "faster fox" and my browser has been noticeably faster since I updated though I appreciate that other factors affect speed ..... just my two cent worth for other non techy chaps/chapettes.

FireFox should also periodically check automatically for updates to the browser and extensions. If it wasn't already doing this then check your settings.

On the subject of browsers, i've just come accross a new browser called Tablane. It was put together in just a few weeks by a few people in County Mayo. It's worth a try just to see how it works - it's still very new, but is out of BETA and there are some very simple, but useful features such as a pagesearch bar and one-click notepad document icon.

Having been singing the praises of Firefox yesterday I can't load any pages at all today. No probs. with e-mail or IE ( suggesting to me my connection is ok ) but keep getting a time out message with Firefox having tried several different urls - anyone any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Back