Key Post: Anyone using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer

Re: >>Anyone using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer

Have you closed FireFox down and restarted it? Have you installed or updated any extensions or changed any settings?

Yes I have tried closing and reopening Firefox and I still get the time out message. I updated the Fasterfox extension yesterday but would have closed and opened Firefox since with no probems until this am. I didn't change any settings as far as I know.

If you're behind a firewall check your proxy settings. Also perhaps uninstall the Fasterfox extension to see if it's the culprit!

Got it working again by going in to tools>options>general>connection settings and checking " direct connection to the internet " ...... "manual proxy configuration" was checked ( I don't remember ever checking this box in the past) . I know Firefox is up and running again but is my solution a short term one or should the connection settings have been configured in this way all along ?

Do you normally connect through a proxy server (e.g. in IE) or direct to the internet?

In case it's of any relevance I've had problems in the past with trying to connect FireFox to Yahoo sites through the UTV proxy server. This seems to be a proxy rather than a FireFox problem.

ClubMan said:
Do you normally connect through a proxy server (e.g. in IE) or direct to the internet?

In case it's of any relevance I've had problems in the past with trying to connect FireFox to Yahoo sites through the UTV proxy server. This seems to be a proxy rather than a FireFox problem.

Through a proxy server. I'm also with UTV bb and could never view the Yahoo sites in Firefox. Now that I am connecting directly to the internet as per my post a few minutes ago I can view Yahoo sites in Firefox so as you say the prob. seems to be a proxy issue . Are there any adverse implications of me connecting to the internet directly as opposed to through the proxy server?

demoivre said:
Through a proxy server. I'm also with UTV bb and could never view the Yahoo sites in Firefox.
If you install the user agent switcher extension and switch into IE mode they work. You may need to switch back to FireFox mode to view other sites though. It seems to be a proxy server problem.
Now that I am connecting directly to the internet as per my post a few minutes ago I can view Yahoo sites in Firefox so as you say the prob. seems to be a proxy issue .
That's another way to do it! :)
Are there any adverse implications of me connecting to the internet directly as opposed to through the proxy server?
Not really - potentially minor speed issues since via a caching proxy may be faster due to cached copies of certain resources being used but otherwise it shouldn't be any big deal. It would be worth getting to the bottom of the problem though.

Thanks for those points Clubman - I will take note of what you have said .
Wowser , cheers mate - appreciate the input.

There's another option for opening links in a new tab if you are using the Tabbed Browser extension. Go into Tools, options, tabbed browsing, select Display Options tab and select the "Show the Lock tab menu item on the tab context menu" . Then, when you are on a page that has many links you want to browse in new tabs, left click on the tab with all the links, select the "Lock Tab" and hey presto, all links on that page will open in new tabs until you unlock it.

HTH.

CGorman said:
On the subject of browsers, i've just come accross a new browser called Tablane. It was put together in just a few weeks by a few people in County Mayo. It's worth a try just to see how it works - it's still very new, but is out of BETA and there are some very simple, but useful features such as a pagesearch bar and one-click notepad document icon.

from the [broken link removed]site:

Tablane is built upon Microsoft's Internet Explorer engine. Its security will be as good as the IE configuration on your PC. All IE security patches will automatically work with Tablane. If you use other 3rd party security software with IE, this should also work with Tablane.

yet another IE clone, with all IE's famed security features :rolleyes:

A techy friend put the firefox on my computer and to be honest once I can surfabout I don't really notice/care about the difference, the tabbing is an extra I guess and having the icons for your fav pages. The msn messenger he installed was much more fun to be honest, I know for people of a more informed backround that must be so novice. It seems the action of using a computer and going online requires alot of inside knowledge, I'd be lost without my techy friend who helps me out with problems and makes sure everything is working smoothly.

OK - Here's the final test for Firefox to take over from IE for me. Does Firefox have the 'personalised favourites' facility that exists on IE, where IE 'hides' favourites which haven't been used recently and only shows the frequently used favourites?

Anyone use the 'Mozilla Quality Agent'?

Back