Key Post: Ants

S

sueellen

Anyone have experience of getting rid of ants which have infested the kitchen of my house?

Thanx

I had to call in a professional. They are extremely difficult to get rid of but your man told me that he does at least 2 calls a day EVERY day from May to September so its a very common problem but people are too embarrassed to mention it.
He sprayed around the skirting board and every window, door etc in the house with a spray. It seemed to work.
The only thing is that ants are not disease carriers and don't cause a mess.
HOWEVER, you need to realise that they come in because they have found a food source. You need to ensure that you clean up everything always......a few crumbs left behind that doesn't seem much will attract them in.

Re: Ants

Legend 99 is right

"HOWEVER, you need to realise that they come in because they have found a food source"

Your best way to deal with them is to collect a number of the ants in a jar and put some honey in the jar with them and leave it outside by a footpath. (Don't drown them.)
Place a few jars with a spoon of honey in a few locations outside.
The ants you brought out will find their way back to the nest and tell the others about the new food source.
After a day or two they will go to the jars to be fed in preference to coming into the house.

Ants

Legend, can you be specific about the professional you used and approx. how much it cost.

Many Thanks

Golden Pages in Cork....genuinely can't remember the name. But make sure to ask if they stand over being able to get rid of ants...as they are hard buggers to be rid of with chemicals not all of them guarantee to be able to do it.
Cost was about 50 quid I think.

There are loads in Golden Pages..Insects I think might be what they are under.

Mickeyg,

A pot of honey will only cost 3 to 4 euro.

You won't be endangering your family and the environment with insecticide.

And you won't have "antoside" on your conscience.

A much safer and effective alternative.

Look out for the white dust which can be found in most garden stores and even hardware stores. Quite effective, but not very environmentally friendly.

and Dec.

Came in to the house about a month ago behind kitchen presses and porch area. Used "Nippon", I think that's what's it's called also the white powder stuff. No sign of them now. Lavender oil is now being used to be sure, to be sure in porch area.

Re: and Dec.

Apparently they do not like bay leaves - find out where they're coming in and scatter a pinch of crushed leaves in the vicinity.

They're smart buggers though, and will probably just come in somewhere else. I like Occasional's honey-pot solution!

Some other posts

02dublinwrx
Unregistered User
Help!! -Ants problem

Help!

Kitchen infested with Ants, suggestions please

thanks

icantbelieveitstaken
Re: Help!! -Ants problem

Try these

[broken link removed]
So you wanna get rid of ants
[broken link removed]

- icantbelieveit

ttraces
Frequent poster
been there

Yyou can get this powder in a hardware shop called "killz antz" or something snappy like that (they'll know when you explain). all you do is sprinkle it on saddle boards or wherever their entry point is and "kiss your frogs goodbye".

legend99

Get in the experts. as you drive them from one point in the house they will appear through the floorboards etc in another...

I speak from experience!

NathanielStarbuck
Antz

They usually have their nest outside and come in along one or two main arterial routes.

Find the biggest artery. Scatter a few sugar crystals around and wait for word to spread back to the nest.

Once there's heavy traffic on the artery spray them with something soapy - windolene maybe - to irritate and confuse them. Then squidge a goodly number of them, and leave the bodies lying around for a few days 'pour encourager les autres'.

Voila. The problem now belongs to your neighbour.

Back