Kevin Myers gone a bit OTT lately?

Betsy Og

He strikes me being very controversial for the sake of it, and without the humour of Ian O'Doherty.

I thought he plumbed the depths recently about the upcoming generations of Irish women and made them all out to be either a) "swamp donkeys" - obese welfare scroungers or b) D4 type leeches who never want to work etc etc.

The cringeworthy bit was when he went on and on at great length and in detail as to how they live their lives with, what I can only assume is pure conjecture about, for instance, how D4's mum bought her a rampant rabbit at age 16 yadda yadda

Has he lost all respect for himself writing such bovine excrement ? !!

I think he's always been like that.

Didn't he get fired from the Irish Times for a similar article.

I read his stuff but pay absolutely no heed to any of his rantings.

He strikes me being very controversial for the sake of it, and without the humour of Ian O'Doherty.

I thought he plumbed the depths recently about the upcoming generations of Irish women and made them all out to be either a) "swamp donkeys" - obese welfare scroungers or b) D4 type leeches who never want to work etc etc.

The cringeworthy bit was when he went on and on at great length and in detail as to how they live their lives with, what I can only assume is pure conjecture about, for instance, how D4's mum bought her a rampant rabbit at age 16 yadda yadda

Has he lost all respect for himself writing such bovine excrement ? !!
You've a strange sense of humour if you find that bore humourous. He's as bad as Myers.

In fairness to O'Doherty its usually fairly tongue in cheek, and is good fun. OK he gets into a few scrapes with the Islamic fundamentalist crew but I'd back him on that (eejits in FF with their blasphemy bill, what a crock...).

Who can forget the great run of snippets last year about various poor souls who injured their members in inventive and hilarious ways (... ok, maybe you "had to be there").

On the other hand Myers writes everthing with "state of the nation" seriousness, like he expects to be quoted in a history book in 30 years time.

My only criticism of O'Doherty is that he's always anti everything, rarely (ever?) comes out in support of anything. He's your typical well balanced Irishman, a chip on both shoulders. Still, a small price to pay for a laugh, maybe its the fact that I'm not a Madonna fan but he always seems at his best when slagging her.

On the other hand Myers writes everthing with "state of the nation" seriousness, like he expects to be quoted in a history book in 30 years time.

Agree. Basically he is not nearly as intelligent as he thinks he is. As you say, he is much more concerned with being controversial - add to that elitism, pomposity, outright snobbery and a nasty streak and he can be pretty unpalatable.

I think he thinks he is AA Gill but he comes nowhere near.

Right on cue today's I Spy coulumn by Ian O'Doherty has blood curdling tales of self-surgery by Welsh people !!

p.s. I predicted a London rose win, having only seen about 6 of them. An eye for the "lovely girls" I have !!

not a fan of Brendan O'Connor, just roars people down. Havent read that Sindo rubbish in an age so I'm spared his musings.

Kevin Myers is on Newstalk at the mo complaining about all the negative Irish people who whinge and moan about everything and everyone and who refuse to see any positive in anything...

Hellooooo!!! Has he ever read his own column???? Plonker!

Yea, heard him on the Right Hook one evening last week talking with John Walters.

He was discussing how when he moved to Ireland in the 80's and people felt it was strange for a man to be making his own Christmas Cards. Of course Walters agreed that the Irish people were indeed an ill informed negitave bunch to hold such opinions, the real love in began after that :D.

So come on how many AAM'ers make their own Christmas Cards? if its good enough for Kevin, hey, how many more can be out there.........

I like reading him and listening to him as he makes one think. It's good to think outside the box. He's also quite funny and I love when he's outraged. He's not a great radio presenter though but still listenable to.

I thought his piece on Irish women quite apt, outrageous and funny all in one, not many people can do that. I also like that he has the freedom to write what he wants without fear of repercussions.

I find that I agree with him at times and disagree at times, but I'd rather debate the points he makes rather than the man himself. I find it somewhat unpalatable to attack individuals on anonymous message boards, no more than I find it unpalatable to attack individual posters rather than the points they make. However, I can see what a divisive characters Myers and O'Doherty can be. My Dad is a regular indo buyer and doesn't have much time for either of them. Still, divisive characters bring us all out of our shells, and I find Myers and O'Doherty both entertaining, and as previous posters have mentioned, thought provoking.

Back