Kenmare vs Youghal - Family selfcatering holiday

lfcjfc

Hi All

Staying at home this year for the family hols. Currently narrowed it down to either the Kenmare area or the Youghal area. What do people think of the pros and cons of each. We have three kids between 3 and 9 years old and I am a little worried that there may not be enough to entertain them around Kenmare. All opinionsappreciated

Very little in Kenmare for children of that age and Youghal not much better, why not consider Killarney, close proximity to Tralee, to Beaches, Aquadrome, Cinema's etc. Cappanalea outdoor adventure centre in Caragh Lake do loads of activities for children over the summer months.

Youghal

We brought the kids to Youghal for a short break last summer , stayed at

There was plenty there for them to do. For starters they went fishing from the pier outside the apartments at high tide, boat trip with Blackwater cruises, there is also a swimming pool at the other end of the town Aura is the name of it , we went greyhound racing & of course they did perks amusements. There are plenty of beaches there

I personally would head for Kenmare.
We are just back from a week in Youghal with our 5 year old, and by the end of the week, we were struggling to find things to do, contrast that with a week in Kerry last year, where we still have a list of things we want to go back to do.
We did Fota, Cobh, Lismore, Trabolgan (All things we really enjoyed) but we went to Leahys open farm and I thought it was the biggest rip off that I have ever seen in Ireland,I found Youghal very traffic congetsed and we tried to avoid the town if possible as it took so long to get through.
Maybe its just the type of holiday we prefer, but when in Youghal, we found we were always looking for something to do, whereas, in Kerry we just got into the car and no matter where we went we found something to do, be it walks along rivers/streams, scenery, woods, etc.
We left East Cork saying been there done that and not returning. Whereas we said we'd go back to West Cork/Kerry far quicker if we staycation next year!

Oh and meant to add if you head for perks in Youghal, have deep deep pockets especially with three kids!! I only have one so far and she emptied my purse in teh space of 2 hours in Perks! (Its an amusment arcade, indoor play centre, has a few little rides for kids etc)
Never made it to the swimming pool in town as there was a pool in the hotel where we stayed in.
Enjoy your hols no matter where you go!

Back