Motor Keeping down the cost of a claim

Padraigb

I'm not really asking anything here, rather telling you about what can happen.

Herself was involved in a minor collision in which her car was damaged. There is no dispute about liability: the other driver drove into her while her car was stationary, and instantly admitted that he was at fault.

One wing of her car is crumpled, and a perfect repair would require a replacement wing and a paint job, and she would require a replacement car for a couple of days. You could easily visualise the job running to four figures.

Now, it's an old car, albeit well-maintained and in very good order. She might get €1500 if she sold it, but she is considering availing of the scrappage scheme later in the year. In those circumstances, we had a think about things and agreed between ourselves that we would settle for a cheap repair that would not be quite perfect, and that she could borrow my car for a couple of days (she needs a car more than I do). Our opening offer to the other party was €250 for the actual work, and that we would discuss a supplementary sum to cover some out-of-pocket expenses and to compensate me (at a modest level) for being without my car for a couple of days.

The insurer proposes that the repair be conducted by one of their approved workshops, and that they arrange the provision of a courtesy car. Chances are that they will spend €1000 rather than the €350-400 we had in mind.

Their defences against inflated claims mean that they cannot cope with a deflated claim. She intends to contest their approach, and expects to lose the argument.

"Keeping down the cost of a claim".

Of what benefit is it to you to reduce the cost of this claim if there is no fault on your side?

"Keeping down the cost of a claim".

Of what benefit is it to you to reduce the cost of this claim if there is no fault on your side?

Presumably the OP will benefit along with everyone else by lower premia due to less costs incurred by the insurance companies?

Presumably the OP will benefit along with everyone else by lower premia due to less costs incurred by the insurance companies?

We hadn't given much thought to that angle: in the grand scheme of things, a few hundred euros is petty cash to an insurance company. But if there were a culture of not trying to screw as much as possible out of insurance companies, premiums would probably come down noticeably.

For us, it's more to do with avoiding unnecessary waste. If Herself had done something like hit a gatepost with that car, that's the standard or repair we could think reasonable.

Insurance fraud is a crime and it is on the increase ...

I understand why insurance companies need to protect themselves against spurious or inflated claims, but what we want is more like negative fraud -- claim less than we could go for.

The main point in posting again is to tell you that Herself got a result. The insurer accepted her bona fides and is approving her proposal for a cheap repair.

Back