Keeping Algae etc. out of bird baths

ribena

Does anyone know how you keep algae etc. out of your bird bath? I clean mine every week with washing up liquid, rinse well and I still end up with loads of slimy green algae 7 days later. IfI didn't clean it for 2 weeks it would be disguisting slimy. Is there any special cleaner or drops that you can put in to protect it. There are always plenty of birds taking a dip so I don't want to harm them either.

Could you relocate the bird bath to a sunnier location? I'd imagine using any chemical is not going to do the birds any good. The algae you refer to will only form in stagnant water so I'd imagine the only other alternative is to replace the bath with a pumped fountain arrangement, Argos do these for very reasonable money.

Thanks Carpenter. It is located in my south facing garden so it gets plenty of sun. You're probably right about the stagnant water. Pity, because it's an ideal spot for the birds and looks lovely from my kitchen window. I have a fountain also nestled under some overgrown bushes but I don't think there's a pump to go with it. I might see about getting that working.

Back