Health Insurance Keeping a child and young adult in the system for minimal cost

colin79ie

Our VHI renewal has become expensive enough for us to take a serious look at the need for cover at all.

Both adults have and do use it, so that's fair enough.
However, we are looking at possibilities for the kids, a 17 yr old and 21 yr old. Both fit and well.
The 21 yr old goes to uni and lives pretty much in NI and is registered there in the NHS etc as they work there part time and all summer.
The 17 yr old will be heading into that age bracket soon enough where it becomes more expensive.

Is there a way we can minimise the cost of their cover so that they don't face any issues getting their own cover when they flee the nest etc...

You'll also need to consider how risky it is for them to rely on the public system in the meantime before they fly the nest. The NI NHS is if anything worse than our system if you need anything non-urgent done in a reasonable timeframe.

Hi Colin,

Have you queried the cheapest option with VHI and interested to hear what they had to offer? Wondering also if they play sports which can be a risky option in case of injury where health insurance could be extremely important.

Hi Colin,

Have you queried the cheapest option with VHI and interested to hear what they had to offer? Wondering also if they play sports which can be a risky option in case of injury where health insurance could be extremely important.
I am currently reviewing but find it really difficult to navigate all the jargon. We pay monthly and it has gone from 188 to 244 per month, mainly as the young adult gets older.

We generally don't claim day to day stuff but the adults have used day procedures in private hospitals in NI, which is great for us because we live in the extreme NW and are close to the border.
There's no vhi or laya clinics anywhere close for example so they aren't priority.
Mainly for scans and diagnostics.

There's no fear of any sports injury with the eldest, maybe the younger one.

It's a real headache. I have committed to a review with total health cover for the first time so maybe they can help clear it up for us.

I only found out recently that my employer has, for many years , a group discount with laya of 10%, but they never thought to tell anyone...I'm there almost 20 years!

a group discount with laya of 10%, but they never thought to tell anyone...I'm there almost 20 years!

I'd be asking if any discount could be back-dated as you were not aware of it, worth a try, nothing to lose.

I have committed to a review with total health cover for the first time so maybe they can help clear it up for us.

Probably a good idea as you are heading to the very expensive time if you have eventually 4 costly adults but you will get the student rates for a while yet.

Have you played around with the www.hia.ie website?

Before your review may a listen to the Dermot Goode podcasts might forearm you with your queries.

We have our adult children on VHI PublicPlus Care Day to Day. It's basic, cheap and they can claim a few euro back on gp, dentist and optician as far as I know. We are with laya but vhi worked out cheaper for them.

Back