Keep deer out of garden?

Z

z109

I used to have a lovely vegetable patch, with strawberry plants, a gooseberry bush and some garlic.

Now I have some empty holes and deer footprints.

I have tried:
- chasing them away and shouting bang bang
- moving dog poo in a semi-circle around the beds

I am thinking of trying:
- a waist-high wire fence (the father-in-law seems to think deer don't like jumping this)

Do anyone know if the wire fence will work? Or has anyone else any other ideas I can try before I get the bambi killers in...

Last edited by a moderator:
waist high wire fense is not the idea - they can jump it or get tangled in it.
I don't have any other ideas though

Can you not install a barb wire fence, or a combination of wooden post and rail.
On our site, we had Sheep Wire and barb wire, which was grand until the ESB hit the fence, and the farmers cattle were able to get into the garden and wreck it....so Now we have post and rail, with a row of barb wire at the top...looks OK when hedgeing etc takes off.

Nice to have deer so close though (in theory)

Can you not install a barb wire fence, or a combination of wooden post and rail.
On our site, we had Sheep Wire and barb wire, which was grand until the ESB hit the fence, and the farmers cattle were able to get into the garden and wreck it....so Now we have post and rail, with a row of barb wire at the top...looks OK when hedgeing etc takes off.)

not sure if this is not plain cruel for deer though. Sheep wire is ok for sheep as it catches them and gives them a tug off their wool or pinch when they rub against it - Deer would tear their underbelly feet / face off of it.
I think it would be too cruel anyway.

I know someone who farmed deer for a while. They had to put in 6ft fencing to keep the deer in, it seems you would have to do the same thing to keep the deer out? I can't see what different waist high fencing would make...

The theory behind the waist high wire is that the deer can't see it properly, so they don't want to jump it. The other suggestion he had is to put an electric fence in. Maybe that would keep deer out and children in?

Have a look at [broken link removed]and see if it helps.

Thank you Seagull. As deerscram don't deliver outside the US, it looks like I am off to the barbers for a few handfulls of dirty hair. Now all I need to find is some old tramp and offer him a free haircut!

Back