KBC 10 year fixed

Freddie

FTB here thinking of going with KBC's 10 fixed rate mortgage.

Property Price is €440,000 and getting a mortgage of €270,000 over 22 years (by which time I'll be 66!)

Everywhere I read, I'm seeing rates are likely to increase in the near future.

Is there any negatives to having this piece of mind over 10 years. Or is this too long a period to sign up to, where anything could happen. (I think I can break out with not too harsh a penalty.

Any thoughts appreciated, like I've said, FTB here. Should I be looking at other mortgage options.

Everywhere I read, I'm seeing rates are likely to increase in the near future.
The only person who knows when interest rates are likely to rise is Mario Draghi - any commentary from persons other than him is simply speculation.
But, over a 10 year period, it is difficult to see the ECB base rate to remain at <1% for that duration. When it will rise, and how high it rises is another matter and my crystal ball is broken.

Is there any negatives to having this piece of mind over 10 years. Or is this too long a period to sign up to, where anything could happen.
There are three main downsides to fixing - 1. you want to dramatically over-pay your mortgage and 2. you believe mortgage interest rates will drop further and you will be stuck on the higher rate and 3. you might roll over only a less favourable rate (e.g. SVR over LTV)

Regarding 1 (over-payments) - so my quick calculation is 270k @ 2.95% for 22 years = 1390 a month. KBC allow you to overpay by 10%, so you could increase this by 140 roughly, and would take 2 years 8 months off the mortgage and save roughly 12990 in interest over the lifetime.
Because KBC allow you to overpay, this only becomes an issue if you wish to overpay by more than 10%. Please check all these details with KBC and any rules around them.
Regarding 2 (future interest rates) - sorry cannot help you there as my crystal ball is broken
Regarding 3 (roll over rate) - be very clear on the loan agreement what the default rate is and what the rollover rate will be in 10 years time. Don't assume the same LTV products will be available then either, so it should be relatively generic such as "new business rates on rollover date". If you need to know how important this is, look through some of the tracker mortgage discussions

I think I can break out with not too harsh a penalty.
Never assume or think anything - get clarification from KBC on how the break penalty is calculated. You only need to worry if the interbank rate falls further negative. How likely is it that the interbank rate will rise or remain the same and the mortgage rates will fall? Maybe, but if it does it will do so in the next 12 months in my view

Should I be looking at other mortgage options.
You should always keep options open until you decide you want to make a final decision. A bank could change rates at the last minute making it more attractive

How do you feel about the UB 4 year fixed rate for example?

BTW, I have recently fixed my mortgage with KBC for 10 years, but have very personal reasons for doing so.

Jnf I'm just back to this now. Thank you for taking the time for this really comprehensive answer and giving me the questions to ask KBC. The UB 4 year fixed was the other option I was thinking about. I'm 95% now on taking the KBC 10 year fixed.

I am thinking of doing the same thing although I'm in the LTV 60-80% range.

@gnf_ireland what is changing on 3-April? I called them today but they didn't say I had to meet a deadline....

I am thinking of doing the same thing although I'm in the LTV 60-80% range.
@gnf_ireland what is changing on 3-April? I called them today but they didn't say I had to meet a deadline....

@Ali2018 KBC announced price changes on Friday (16th March 2018), which are effective from 3rd April 2018
[broken link removed]

They are discussed on the following thread for commentary from the experts on here:
https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/kbc-rate-cuts.207624/

New Mortgage Pricing for 10 year fixed rate (inclusive of 0.2% current account discount) are:
<60% LTV was 2.95% now 3.05% +10bps
60-80% LTV was 2.99% now 3.2% +21bps
80-90% LTV was 3.5% now 3.75% +25bps

While other rates are coming down in the price announcement, the 10 year fixed is rising across the board. This is an interesting departure, and one that is surprising for most on here.

I'm thinking about a 10year fixed at the moment myself. Actually planning to go back to BOI again or else go to KBC. Have done some calculations on both and would be about 1K better of going with KBC over the term assuming I put the cash backs into the principle on the first day. Also thinking about just taking the cash back from BOI and putting it in savings. While it would cost me money in interest I do like the idea of building up a decent lump sum for a rainy day rather than trying to keep putting extra money to pay the mortgage as early as I can.

There is also probably a 50/50 chance I will move out of Dublin before that time is up. Is it likely to cost me anything if I sell the house and clear the mortgage as a result?

Would the 4 year Ulster bank at 2.6% not make more sense particularly if you think you might move.

Run the calcs through including cash back and costs involved and see what suits.

Full disclosure I moved to KBC 10 year at 2.99% (now moved to 3.2%) but that suits our situation. Not planning on moving etc

I'm concerned that I will come off the UB rate in 4 years time and rates will have then jumped to 4% and I'm going to have a huge jump in my mortgage payments.

That was my concern and coupled with that we are not planning on move made the 10 year suit us.

Best of luck with your decision!

From an article in the Irish Times this weekend at this link

https://www.independent.ie/business...loan-by-overpaying-what-you-owe-36784655.html

With Bank of Ireland, KBC Bank and Ulster Bank, you can avoid the early redemption fee if you make an overpayment off a fixed mortgage - as long as you stick to certain limits. With Ulster Bank, you can make overpayments of up to 10pc of your "outstanding fixed rate balance each year" without incurring a break fee. KBC also allows you to make overpayments of up to 10pc of your mortgage balance without incurring a fee.

Does anyone know if this true? I didn't think KBC had this also and can't see anything on their website to say that it is true.

Back