Justice for Omagh

Berlin

Just heard that Michael McKevitt and 3 others have been found culpable for the Omagh bomb of 1998 in a landmark civil case at Belfast High Court.

While I know it will be a small consolation to the bereaved families of the victims, I think its fabulous news!

Wow - didn't hold out much hope for this TBH.

Are you sure that 'culpable' is the correct word though? I'm not saying it isn't but you might need to be careful.

sadley it means very little..its only a civil case and its unlikely the will get much of the money they were awarded.

Money is the last thing on the minds of the families I'm sure. Many questions remain also with regard to the police's role in that terrible day and subsequent investigation. Why was evidence tampered with? Why have statements been altered and gone missing? Why was evidence collected and stored in a shambolic way? Why did RUC special branch not pass intelligence to police indicating an imminent attack, specifically in Omagh?

It wasn't called a dirty war for nothing, and I'm afraid it will be many years, if ever, that the RUC/PSNI come clean on their own role at that time.

Back