Home Just Realised Have 2 House Insurance Policies

ilovecheese

Was checking my online banking today and I just realised that there are 2 sets of direct debits coming out of my account from 2 different home insurance providers.

From aug 2008 - aug 2009 we had home insurance from a broker but we then got a better deal from Quinn in August 2009 and started getting cover from them.

My husband rang the broker to cancel the first policy over the phone and now obviously we have a policy with Quinn also.

Also, the brokers have a system whereby they treat your yearly premiums as a loan in advance that you pay back over the year. It comes up on our statement as 'premium credit' so as much as I dont want to be with them anymore I dont know if we can get out of the brokers policy coz I think it would be treated as defaulting on a loan.

Can they do that?

What are our chances of getting the premiums back for the last 8 months from the brokers given we didnt officially sign anything to renew, my husband 'thinks' he cancelled by phone and they have continued taking money out of our account for the last 8 months?

Hi,
I used to work in a major insurance brokers so here is some advice that I hope will be of use to you.If your husband did cancel insurance brokers will normally ask to confirm the cancellation in writing ,if they do not recieve anything and the policy is due for renewal then they can automatically continue on with direct debit if it is on continous direct debit which i say it was in your case.although if it was not they would normally send out a letter saying the policy was due for renewal and to send back a direct debit form of some sort.As you are now insured with two home providers you can request a letter from the insurance company you are now with-quinn to state the dates you were insured with them and send it to the other insurance company.It is called a dual insurance letter,usually when the broker receive this they will forward it on to the insurance company and you may get back a refund then. Hope this is help to you .

you should get a refund from both. It is dependant on sums insured and claims experience. If you are insured with two companies, then you WILL get a refund.

Thanks a mill.

What annoys me isnt that they have renewed out policy without telling us, its more that they got credit in our name from premium credit at the renewal date to cover the second years premiums, without us having to sign anything.
We signed the credit agreement for the first year when premiums were €32 per month, but in the second year they appear to have gone up to €45 per month - we never agreed to this and didnt sign for it.

Hopefully it will get sorted out on Tuesday, but I have a feeling the brokers are going to make it difficult for us :-(

Back