Just over VAT threshold for last year

Given the comments above in relation to VAT-inclusive and VAT -exclusive amounts I don't see that a chat on the phone with the Revenue would do any harm.
The reaction of some posters to even a suggestion that they talk to the Revenue puts the Revenue in such a bad light.
My experience of dealing with them in this current crisis, is that they are tough but fair, and customer orientated.

As I said, the OP can get clarity on the principle of VAT registration.
This doesn't mean you have to make a return or show them your books, as some of the replies would seem to assume.
The OP can then take professional advice - and remember, the Revenue are a State Agency, no crooks - and "its good to talk".

ONQ.

Given the comments above in relation to VAT-inclusive and VAT -exclusive amounts I don't see that a chat on the phone with the Revenue would do any harm.
The reaction of some posters to even a suggestion that they talk to the Revenue puts the Revenue in such a bad light.
My experience of dealing with them in this current crisis, is that they are tough but fair, and customer orientated.

As I said, the OP can get clarity on the principle of VAT registration.
This doesn't mean you have to make a return or show them your books, as some of the replies would seem to assume.
The OP can then take professional advice - and remember, the Revenue are a State Agency, no crooks - and "its good to talk".

ONQ.

'Customer' orientated? How can you suggest this when the documents on their own website say different? They are not exactly keeping it a secret what their priorities are.
http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/running/tax-payment-difficulties.html

If you have to 'talk', get someone experienced with the Revenue to do the 'talking'. Even better, get everything in writing.

Revenue also acknowledges that in the current economic slowdown some businesses and taxpayers are currently experiencing difficulties in meeting their tax payment obligations even where they are fully committed to so doing and in more favourable economic and financial circumstances did precisely that.
Their agenda cannot change, they collect tax for the state.
They acknowledge the ongoing doldrums we are all in these days.

After the next budget they may be seeking to collect more tax for the state.
They seem to know the plea most people will put before the Courts seeking clemency.

Their agenda cannot change, they collect tax for the state.
They acknowledge the ongoing doldrums we are all in these days.

After the next budget they may be seeking to collect more tax for the state.
They seem to know the plea most people will put before the Courts seeking clemency.

How they go about collecting these taxes and imposing fines etc., is what I'm referring to. There used to be some discretion involved, for example, if a company was viable, but had a once off late payment, maybe Revenue might waive the fine. Especially if imposing a fine would put the company (and jobs) at risk.

From my own experience, and from other business owners I've spoken with who have dealt with the Revenue recently, I can say that Revenue is no longer taking any prisoners.

Advising the OP on this thread to directly approach the Revenue with this, is just asking for a fine and penalties.

I guess that's the OP's decision.

Personally I'd make the call, but that was my decision and I'm glad I did.

ONQ - after a few more Budgets, you may look at the Revenue in a different light. As the country's financial situation worsens, this is only going one way.

For me, I'm not going to be a victim if I can help it.

I totally agree.

Equally, if the tax and VAT are supposed to be paid that's the position.

Reduced though my circumstances have been recently, I made a tax payment this year for 2009, the last year for which we had a tax liability.

I guess that's the OP's decision.

Personally I'd make the call, but that was my decision and I'm glad I did.

I wouldn't under any circumstances take this advise.
Talk to your accountant.
Tommy is 100% right.

Back