just moved to ireland

M

molzer

hi all

i have just moved to ireland from scotland and have a few questions about the whole house-buying thing here.

first thing is do all houses go for a premium over their asking price, in scotland the system is offers over a certain price and its always at least 20% over is it the same here.

secondly how do the revenue check if you have previously bought a property overseas and are therefore not a FTB

and lastly any opinions on buying new build VS second hand would be greatly appreciated

For private treaty sales you pay pretty much the asking price unless the vendor has pitched it too high or a bidding war opens up.

The guide prices for auctions are notoriously low and they often sell for much more. There's a guide and a more realistic withdrawal price (that they don't make public).

Can't help you with the do they know you're a FTB or not question.

If you really are a FTB (which it sounds like you might not be) then you can buy new free of stamp duty and second hand up to €317.5k free of stamp duty.

I went to view an apartment last week in the city centre. When I called up to arrange the viewing, the latest offer was 400k. When I met the agent the latest offer was 405k "that the vendors were considering".

However, at the viewing, the agent gave me a brochure which stated that the pricing was "offers in excess of 375k".

From what I've heard, it helps if you are able to close quickly on the sale (particularly if you are buying a 2nd hand house and the vendors want to move on quickly). You'd have a better chance of getting an offer that was close to the asking price accepted.

Back