Just how inefficient is an Aga cooker?

settlement

Hi all,

Just how inefficient is an aga? I understand they are said to be heavy on fuel, mine runs on oil

The other question is, when its already on, I assume I'm better off using it eg to boil the kettle, since it's already on?

Hi all,

Just how inefficient is an aga? I understand they are said to be heavy on fuel, mine runs on oil

The other question is, when its already on, I assume I'm better off using it eg to boil the kettle, since it's already on?
We have one. It's oil too. It heats the water and the room. Keeps the 2 cats happy.

We boil the kettle and cook and reheat food. Makes fabulous toast.

We bought a stove top kettle from Aldi and are very happy with it. Much cheaper than an Aga kettle (and nicer looking imo).

I wouldn't chose one but work with it.

The older oil boilers are in the 55-75% efficiency range, condensing oil boilers are 85-97% efficient.

The answer to your question is yes. Best utilising everything while it's there. I loved ours for cooking and keeping the large kitchen warm all the time. Lovely for roasting including the spuds. Bread is a synch too. My Ma used to have her friends bring the plump puddings round for all night steaming in the oven at Christmas time. Be smart with the water also by having showers and the washing up. Pain when it goes a bit cold though as ours took half a day to reheat up.

Back