just a good accountant

Brady94

hi

Can anyone recommend a good accountant to help calculate capital gains, for non resident

Last edited:
How complicated is it in terms of assets, etc, might help with giving you more information.

Hi, well it’s a long story, but basically my dad signed a farm house and 15 acres to me and my brother 25 years ago but in the deed our disabled uncle had the right to live there. We lived in the UK. Our uncle looked after the place, we never received income of any sort. In 2008 our uncle died. The property was put on the market and although it was sold in 2015 the sale still hasn’t gone through its been a nightmare and we have lost faith in advisors. Now it looks like it will go through but we need a letter of no audit for capital gains. I thought there was no capital gain as I thought the revenue took the valuation at the date of our uncles death as that’s when it became totally ours. The value has dropped since 2009. Having looked at the Revenue’s web site it seems more complicated then that. Totally confused now and certainly don’t want this to drag on for another 3 years so want a tax adviser or accountant who is good. So it’s one property for €140,000 euros.

It's been left to yourself and your brother by your father which suggests that at the valuation you've given there's no inheritance tax for either of you. As for capital gains tax? I don't see how that's going to come into it but i'm sure someone more experienced than myself will steer you in the right direction on that one.

Hi

That is correct there is no inheritance tax to pay as he was a live when he signed it over and died about 20 years later. I think it will all depend on the valuation date whether they take the date it was signed over or when our uncle died and it became ours totally

I've never heard of what your solicitor is asking you for despite having bought and sold many properties over the years. Is it because you don't live in Ireland and what exactly are they looking for and from whom are you supposed to get it? Is there a will and has probate to be taken out, or has it been done?

In answer to the original query, I can recommend Tommy McGibney (www.mcgibney.com) who is a long-time regular contributor to Askaboutmoney. Tommy has been accountant/auditor to my firm as well as my own accountant and tax advisor for over 15 years. A hugely knowledgeable, experienced and trustworthy professional.

Hi guys thanks. It is because we live in the UK and the solicitor won’t release funds until they get the letter of no audit otherwise they will be liable for any tax not paid.

Back