Junior Regatta - Dun Laoghaire

boaber

Multiple Ambulances

Anyone know what's going on??

At least 30 ambulances and 10 fire engines have passed our offices in Blackrock Co Dublin within the last 30 mins.

Re: Multiple Ambulances

And they are going out again today...

Fair play to them - the last thing you want is for any of the kids to develop a fear of strong winds - throw them right back into it and they'll be fine

The fools, Met Eireann even have a small craft warning for today:

http://www.met.ie/

Obviously they have never heard of the phrase "once bitten twice shy"

Fair play to them - the last thing you want is for any of the kids to develop a fear of strong winds - throw them right back into it and they'll be fine
That's right, it will be character forming for those who survive... :rolleyes:
I hope the organisers from the four yacht clubs in Dún Laoghaire get in trouble for this. It was reckless in the extreme to go out yesterday in defiance of a small vessel warning from Met Eireann. Still if they ignored it yesterday who heed it today?

What is the purpose of Met Eireann giving 'Small Craft Warnings' and Gale Warnings if reputable and prestigious sailing clubs disregard these messages ?

So that sensable people who have reguard for the safety of their children can heed them. I hope the organisers of the regatta are hit for the bill for the rescue.

Smiley missing there?

And I believe they went back out today, even though the gale and small craft warnings are still in effect.

Hopefully none of the kids will pay too dearly for their parents decisions.

Smiley missing there?

Actually at the time I wrote it I was serious BUT I didn't know that the Small Craft Warning was in effect again today so I now retract that remark and agree with Purple and I think his comment that if they ignored the SCW yesterday they can't very well heed it today is spot on!

UPDATE: Regatta cancelled today because of adverse weather conditions: [broken link removed]

Last edited:
Just heard the Regatta has been called off while an investigation is carried out into yesterdays incident.

The fools, Met Eireann even have a small craft warning for today:

http://www.met.ie/

Obviously they have never heard of the phrase "once bitten twice shy"

Met.ie have small craft warnings every friggin' day no matter what the outlook..... along with the 'Friday will be a dry day except for the occasional showers'... covering all eventualities.....

Met.ie have small craft warnings every friggin' day no matter what the outlook..... along with the 'Friday will be a dry day except for the occasional showers'... covering all eventualities.....

I think you are exaggerating a bit there ninsage.

Doesn't the small craft warning only apply to unsupervised small craft??

Which wouldn't have affected the regatta which was supervised.

Doesn't the small craft warning only apply to unsupervised small craft??

Which wouldn't have affected the regatta which was supervised.

The chairman of the yacht club said words to that effect on the news last nite. Personally I though he was shirking his responsibility.
Surely a small craft warning means it is unsafe to go out on the sea in a small craft? The presence of supervision might help in the aftermath when a boat capsises but it does not decrease the liklihood of such an accident happening.

Would that also include those days when we get rain in between showers? :)

Back