"Jumbled"emails using Windows Mail

rheinie

When I recieve emails using Windows mail mostly ones containing spreadsheet information parts of it are "jumbled" i.e just contain symbles that I cant read .Is there some way I can adjust this so that I can read information in full.This also happens when I download some documents from Internet.Any suggestions on how I can overcome this problem.thanks in advance

To get hep on this, you'll need to provide some useful information such as what program are you using to get your mail, are you using a Mac, Linux or PC operating system and what spreadsheet program have you got?

Also, does the problem happen on your PC only or on any you try retrieve the messages from?

Thanks for reply .Am using Windows Mail on Windows Vista the Spread sheet is microsoft works .If you need more information please let me know

When I recieve emails using Windows mail mostly ones containing spreadsheet information parts of it are "jumbled" i.e just contain symbles that I cant read .Is there some way I can adjust this so that I can read information in full.This also happens when I download some documents from Internet.Any suggestions on how I can overcome this problem.thanks in advance

Have you the program on your computer that these files were created in? eg if they are Excel files do you have Excel on your computer?

This is on new laptop do not have Excel on it have Works Spreadsheet on it,that is what was installed on it when bought it.

This is on new laptop do not have Excel on it have Works Spreadsheet on it,that is what was installed on it when bought it.

Wondering, then, if this is the problem? I switched laptops a while ago and didn't have Microsoft Office (with Excel) installed, so when I was sent an Excel file as an email attachment and tried to open it I just got the kind of jumbled stuff you described. It couldn't find Excel so tried to open it with another program (probably at my clueless prompting).

Hopefully some tech expert will come along to confirm or deny this is the problem.

Ya that sounds very like the problem I have,any ideas on how it can be corrected.

Two obvious solutions -

1) buy Excel (well . . . install it also)
2) get whoever sent you the file to save the file in a format that Works understands

One less obvious one
3) curse Microsoft for their plans of world domination which involve getting loads of people around the world to pay them to use proprietary formats when there are open formats available.

z

Back