JS Benefit & Illness Benefit = BTEA - So confused

Mumtoe&e

I have been on JS Benefit for a period of 6 months - came off that as I was sick - have been sick for 5 weeks -
*heres the confusing part - I was not entitled to illness benefit due to not having enough PRSI contributions - BUT I have been sending my certs in every week for "credits" - so no payment for 5 weeks

I hope to be resuming "fit for work" this week, and go back on JS Benefit - if I do not get a job in the next few months - I am now looking into applying for Back to Education allowance!!

I will have the 312 days which is needed for 3rd level BUT as I have broken my time on JS Benefit due to being sick, its causing some confusion - some people are telling me that the period I was sick will count towards the qualifying period even though I was not getting payment, as I was sending in weekly certs - others are telling me I wont because I broke my period on JS Benefit??

Can anyone please help?
So in short - was on JS Benefit for 6mths
off sick for 5 weeks
will be (hopefully) going back on JS Benefit for another 6 months (if i dont get a job)

Will I qualify for Back to Education Allowance?

Thank you

When determining if you satisfy the 12 month condition (312 days), a 'linking rule' of 52 weeks applies to qualify a person for participation in the BTEA scheme. Periods spent on other relevant Social Welfare Payments (or credits), that are not broken by more than 12 months (52 weeks), can be used in determining if an applicant satisfies the qualifying period criteria. Looks like you're ok. See here.

Last edited:
hi welfarite
thanks so much for that!
I was receiving conflicting opinions - due to the illness benefit being "credits only" i was getting mixed reviews on it!
fingers crossed!
I might call around to local SW office today to make sure
Thank you

Back