Joint Current Account/ Joint mortgage

Ndiddy

Do you have to have a joint CA to pay a joint mortgage? Can you pay from just one of the borrowers accounts?
Any negatives if possible?

I have a joint account with other half - each transfer money each month to cover mortgage and general bills (electricity / broadband / etc), it's just for household use. We always try to have a surplus in that account each month to help cover for unexpected things...

no negatives really - just needs to be managed and make sure that all the bills are covered. We are on similar salaries, so same amount each month goes to joint. If there was a difference in salaries, then I think, it should be weighted accordingly.

Can you pay from just one of the borrowers accounts?
Not sure what you mean by "pay" here - You can pay into the joint account from only one of the accounts and/or you can pay your mortgage from one of the borrower's account.

I think the point the OP is making is if you have a joint mortgage, does it have to be paid from a joint account and what are the implications if it is paid from just one of the borroweres own account (so in effect, the other is not paying directly)

I don't know what the legal ramifications of this are and what would be the implications if there was divorce proceedings but I know from a practical perspective, I have a joint mortgage and joint CA but have also swept some excess funds from my own CA against the mortgage in the past via my bank's app quite easily. So from a practical perspective, it's feasible, from a legal perspective, I can't answer that.

A mortgage payment can come from an account in a single name... both names may have to sign all the paperwork supplied by the lender. I guess if things went awry some way down the road that might be a sticking point for the two borrowers but it won't stop the mandate being set up in the beginning.

yes this is possible, just shut down a joint kbc account and am managing the mortgage payment via my own account in the future. To be honest I looked at opening a new joint account but with fees I decided against it as the sole purpose of the joint account was the joint mortgage and life assurance

yes this is possible, just shut down a joint kbc account and am managing the mortgage payment via my own account in the future. To be honest I looked at opening a new joint account but with fees I decided against it as the sole purpose of the joint account was the joint mortgage and life assurance
This is exactly our issue, we have individual accounts with N26 but wasn't sure if we had to have a joint account with fees when it would be just to pay the mortgage. Thanks

Back