Joint bank account

Thanks for the advice. Since I'm already with AIB and my boyfriend is with BOI we might have a look at their options. Could be easier in the long run I guess. At the moment I don't pay fees since I'm finishing off paying a student loan. I do get the fees taken out and then refunded to my a/c every quarter though and it never seems to be more than about €16/17 so maybe I should just stick with AIB.... That sounds reasonable enough to me. Its only about a fiver a month

bsloe said:
BOI will probably insist that the mortgage be paid from their account

I had a BOI account and a loan from them which was paid out of the account. I wanted to close the BOI account and switch the loan repayments to my AIB account. At first BOI said I couldn't. I told them there was no way I was going to keep the account open just to process the loan payments. They called me back an hour later and said OK, though they still seemed to think they were doing me a favour!

Is it be legal for a bank to insist that the mortgage is paid out of their account?

askalot said:
I had a BOI account and a loan from them which was paid out of the account. I wanted to close the BOI account and switch the loan repayments to my AIB account. At first BOI said I couldn't. I told them there was no way I was going to keep the account open just to process the loan payments. They called me back an hour later and said OK, though they still seemed to think they were doing me a favour!

Is it be legal for a bank to insist that the mortgage is paid out of their account?
I have a term loan with BOI and when i switched the term loan account remained open and direct debit switched to AIB. Is that not the same thing?

rkeane said:
I have a term loan with BOI and when i switched the term loan account remained open and direct debit switched to AIB. Is that not the same thing?

Sounds like it. So you had no problem?

mainie said:
Thanks for the advice. Since I'm already with AIB .......... I do get the fees taken out and then refunded to my a/c every quarter though and it never seems to be more than about €16/17 so maybe I should just stick with AIB.... That sounds reasonable enough to me. Its only about a fiver a month

AIB offer a Transaction-Free Account now. Why pay even a fiver/month?

see [broken link removed] for details.

Yeah, I just looked that up so I think am gonna open another AIB a/c that will be used as a joint a/c.

Just one question, PTSB told us that you only get the free fees if its your main a/c, i.e your salary is paid into it. I'd rather keep my own a/c for that and then both of us would transfer a sum into the joint a/c monthly. Would this be possible to do with AIB? i.e Can I have another current a/c with them that my salary isn't paid into?

mainie said:
Yeah, I just looked that up so I think am gonna open another AIB a/c that will be used as a joint a/c.

Just one question, PTSB told us that you only get the free fees if its your main a/c, i.e your salary is paid into it. I'd rather keep my own a/c for that and then both of us would transfer a sum into the joint a/c monthly. Would this be possible to do with AIB? i.e Can I have another current a/c with them that my salary isn't paid into?
thats interesting. dont know if you can do it with AIB but PTSB have went down in my book if thats what they are doing. as has that guy from the sopranos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainie

Hi, I found the same problem with PTSB. I don't want my wages going into a joint account either. Anyone know if this is the same situation with NIB? Or do you know of a bank that doesn't require the joint account to be the main account?

NIB didn't require myself and hubby to pay salaries in - we opened the account about 2 years ago, so it may hav echanged in the interrim...

mainie said:

I can see nothing in their Personal Account Fees and Charges brochure which says you must have your salary paid into the account to avail of the Free Fees option.

Also, be aware that there are qualifying conditions with AIB,

How can I qualify?

Personal Current Account customers# who hold an AIB Debit Card and are registered for AIB Phone & Internet Banking can qualify for free maintenance and transaction banking on that account by completing the following transactions on the account:

1. at least one purchase transaction using their AIB Debit Card in the fee quarter
AND
2. at least one debit transaction using AIB Phone & Internet Banking in the same fee quarter

And, you are charged for Overdraft arrangement and renewal.

Back