Joint assessment for married couples

P

prk24277

Can anyone help me out as to the best way forward to be taxed as a marrieed couple. My wife and I were married last year but still have not applied for Joint assessment. We both earn around the same salary and I have an assessable spouse election form. I'm not sure how best to fill it in (assuming joint assessment is the best way for us) - can someone offer advice?
Phil

Joint/aggregated assessment should leave you at least the same (if both spouses are working and on 42%) or better off (if both spouses working and either is on 20% or perhaps if there's only one earner). How much do you each earn? What exactly do you want to know about the assessable spoused election form?

You should inform Revenue that you got married last year including details (e.g. copy of marriage cert) and copies of your P60s for 2005 and ask them to issue a P21 balancing statement in case you are owed tax back. In fact it makes sense to request a P21 balancing statement every year regardless of your married status in order to make sure that you are now owed tax.

Can anyone help me out as to the best way forward to be taxed as a marrieed couple. My wife and I were married last year but still have not applied for Joint assessment. We both earn around the same salary and I have an assessable spouse election form. I'm not sure how best to fill it in (assuming joint assessment is the best way for us) - can someone offer advice?
Phil

Good luck with this. I've written to Revenue a total of four times on this issue since we got married in 2005 including sending in the assessable spouse election form in January 2006 ( for us the cut off date was prior to April 2006 - you probably know that you cannot be assessed as a married couple in the year of marriage). They have yet to sort us out.

Back