John Waters on the Quinns

All I can say is that I dont think he deserves the same bile as I'd reserve for Seanie, David Drumm etc etc

Thanks Betsy Og.

I think there's just a lot of bile out there at the moment.

I take the point that Sean Quinn is not an evil man and does not intend to hurt anyone. He has done wrong, though, and the only fair outcome is that he be held accountable under our laws.

I would say the same about Seanie Fitz or Fingleton. They may have believed in their businesses every bit as much as Quinn, having invested their whole life in building them up. They too have done wrong where they should have known better, and will also be held accountable under law.

The overriding point is that we shouldn't kick failed entrepreneurs when they are down, simply because they have failed. It's not immoral, it's certainly not a crime and in most cases they did a lot of good when times were good.

What we have witnessed, however, goes beyond the simple failure of a business. In the case of Anglo we saw desperate and dubious attempts to avoid failure. In Quinn's case there has been desparate and dubious attempts to put his assets betond the reach of his creditors. When the laws of the land are applied fairly and appropriately I think we'll all relax a little.

I take the point that Sean Quinn is not an evil man and does not intend to hurt anyone. He has done wrong, though, and the only fair outcome is that he be held accountable under our laws.

I would say the same about Seanie Fitz or Fingleton. They may have believed in their businesses every bit as much as Quinn, having invested their whole life in building them up.

I got that impression about Seanie Fitz when I saw his list of assets in his bankrutpcy proceedings. I really did look like he believed his own press. There was no sign of any significant diversification of investment - property, property, property.

Here's today's update on the mighty Quinn; http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0731/quinn-insurance-administration-could-cost-1-6bn.html

During the Celtic Tiger era - these people were put up in pedestal.

The complete failure of regulation & supervision was a disgrace.

Who were the auditors of these companies?

Good article from Fintan O'Toole today about it

[broken link removed]

..when Sean Quinn described himself in court as a "simple farmer's son" he lost any credibility that he ever may have had IMO.

Daithi

..when Sean Quinn described himself in court as a "simple farmer's son" he lost any credibility that he ever may have had IMO.

Daithi

Maybe his father was a bit simple but it's not a very nice thing to say about your own Dad...

Have to say my sympathy is starting to ebb away, at the rate Sean Quinn is going he's going to make himself the new Comical Ali. His assertions that the courts ruined his perfectly good company dont seem to stack up when there's a gaping hole of up to €1.6 Bn.

Powerful and all as the (illuminati) D4 cabal are, I dont think they caused that. No doubt Jim Corr's CV is being enthusiastically received for the new role as Quinn family PR manager ..........................

Back