John and the bank....

peemac

A story by Aidan Comerford...

John was fifty, and financially flumoxed. After getting yet another threatening, computer-generated letter from his bank, he went across to the church, where he was a regular mass-goer. He put a euro in the poor box, lit a candle, and prayed for the same thing he always prayed for: peace on Earth.

That night, he woke up to an old man with a big white beard, surrounded by a brilliant light, standing at the end of his bed.

"Who are you?" said John, shielding his eyes.
"I am the tooth fairy," said the man in a big booming voice.
"Really?"
"No, I'm God," said God, in his normal voice.
"Oh my God," said John.
"That's more like it," said God.
"What do you want with me?" asked John.

God went back to using his booming voice: "Today in church, even though you are in need, you gave money to others, and prayed for peace on Earth. As one of the least selfish of my disciples, I will grant you one wish."

John was confused. "Isn't that Genies?"

God went back to using his normal voice: "Well yes, but we've been getting a lot of bad press lately, so this is a new service we're trying out. Just roll with it, okay?"

"But, what about Peace on Earth?" asked John.

"This post will be deleted if not edited immediately, John, I'm not a miracle worker. Heed the wise words of your chamber of commerce," said God.

"Huh?" said John.

"Think local," said God.

"Okay," said John, and he began to think. While it would be lovely to get financially unflumoxed, John was the sort of man who had faith in himself to do it. He just wished that people were nicer while he was trying, so he said:

"God, all I really want is for my bank to treat me like a human being."

God thought about it, and eventually said, "You know, John, I think I might take another crack at the whole "Peace On Earth" thing."

https://www.facebook.com/aidancomerfordwriting/

Back