Jobseeker's Benefit & Self Employed

C

Carter_15

Hi all,

I'm slightly confused about the welfare system (like most others)

My wife had in full time employement up till june last year, when she was laid off. She qualified for jobseekers benefit, for the full 12 months.

Despite looking for work nothing came about, the 12 months expired and she applied for Jobseekers Allowance. This was refused due to my salary (despite the fact its all spent each month on previous debts, mortgage etc)

She's now looking at setting up her own business as an oppotunity has arisen. However I see that class S PRSI doesnt qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit.

If the new venture fails is there no way she can re-qualify for Jobseekers Benefit?

Is there any other assistance given to new start ups? (I saw a back to Work allowance but it references qualifiying for Jobseekers Allowance etc)

For reference the new startup would be a minimal income to start with (300 euro a month profit / 600 turnover)

obviously the other option is to go work for tescos for 13 weeks to hit the PRSI requalification for Jobseekers Benefit, after which the startup back to work allowance would be automatic?

thanks in advance

Roger

Back