Jobseekers Benefit - Interest Due for Delays in Payment

susie1

I applied for JSB, it took 6mths to come through due to the backlog in the offices.
I was told that i should be allowed interest on the funds due as its goverment paid, does anyone have any info on this?

Not something I've ever heard of in relation to SW payments - where did you hear it?

my boss told me.
he said, the gov have a policy in place, that if they owe money they will pay interest on it. this did happen from previous customers we did work for (gov run/ funded) and if they didn't pay invoices on time, they would allow an interest payment on any funds exceeding 1mth overdue. boss also said it should be the same for SW payments.

Are you sure that he's not thinking of the late payments legislation and interest penalties for late payment of trade creditors as opposed to welfare benefit/allowance claimants?

In the Ombudsmans report of I cant remember which year (Michael Mills was the ombudsman at the time) he introduced a regulation for SW late payments.

If the payment took over 1 year to process (as many do) the claimant is entitled to "loss of spending power". Not sure about the interest situation

Back