Jobseekers Benefit for over 65

Maharabeg

I am a public servant who until very recently had to retire at age 65. Because of this, to replace the old transition pension, I would be entitled to collect Jobseekers Benefit until age 66 when I would receive my State Pension. Now, because of the change, I am given the choice to stay in my job until age 70. My question is this — because I now have the choice to stay in my job, will I be entitled to collect Jobseekers Benefit? By the way, my public service pension is 50 euro a week so the Jobseekes Benefit is a necessity not a frill for me.

There should be no difficulty with this, even though you now have the option to work on. As before, though, you still have to meet the PRSI conditions and technically you have to be available for and looking for work. At least you have to indicate as such on your application form. It is a strange one as I suspect it is never queried and you are not required to show any evidence of this, or to participate in activation. Make sure to have the application ready to submit as soon as you retire.

According to citizens information:

Since 1 January 2014, if you are claiming Jobseeker’s Benefit or Jobseeker's Allowanceand are aged 62 or over, you will no longer be required to engage with the compulsory activation process and you will not be subject to penalty rates for non-engagement. (All other rules for Jobseeker's Benefit or Allowance still apply.) My retirement was compulsory at 65 and I was told by Social Welfare that I would not be required to sign on weekly or monthly. However, I was called in four times during the year and each time was told in was an error!

Jobseekers Benefit is available to PRSI A Class contributors. So I assume you are an A not a B or D.
If you decide to claim JB you are not actually required to be available or seeking work once you are over age 62.

If you decide to claim JB you are not actually required to be available or seeking work once you are over age 62.

Conan, I don't think that is technically accurate. You are not required to engage with compulsory activation. But the stated conditions for jobseekers benefit are the same otherwise - one of which is being available for and looking for work. It is the enforcement of this that differs after 62.
Also the application form is the same, with the question about whether you are available for, and looking for, work.
And Irish solution to an Irish problem, if you like.
Anyway, I don't think the OP need have a concern once he/she meets the PRSI conditions.

From Citizens Advice:
"Since 1 January 2014, if you are claiming Jobseeker’s Benefit or Jobseeker's Allowance and are aged 62 or over, you will no longer be required to engage with the compulsory activation process (see below) and you will not be subject to penalty rates for non-engagement. (All other rules for Jobseeker's Benefit or Allowance still apply.)

However, if you are already engaged in activation (selected and referred for engagement) or if you are currently taking part in an activation programme (such as Community Employment, JobPath or training courses), you are expected to complete the programme. If you leave activation programmes before completion, your jobseeker's payment may be reduced."

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...ments/unemployed_people/older_jobseekers.html

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I do meet all the requirements to apply for Jobseekers Benefit such as Class A, PPRSI etc. but the thing that concerns me is that because I have been given the option now to work until I am 70, if I leave at 65 I am leaving of my own volition and not being forced out as was previously the case. I believe they may say I am not eligible as I gave up my job.

the thing that concerns me is that because I have been given the option now to work until I am 70, if I leave at 65 I am leaving of my own volition and not being forced out as was previously the case. I believe they may say I am not eligible as I gave up my job.

There is no reason to think it will be a problem. It is not that unusual a situation. The only thing I can think of causing a problem is if you have some sort of conscientious objection to completing and signing the application form, which includes confirming that you are available for, and looking, for work. The "system" is aware of of this type of circumstance and turns a blind eye. They really won't expect you to be seeking work and it won't matter that you had the option to remain in your current employment until 70.

In any event, if you were really turned down for Jobseeker's Benefit you should be eligible for what's called the "Supplementary Pension" from your employer/pension provider.

Thanks Early Riser. You are probably right and hopefully the system will use its discretion.

Conan, I don't think that is technically accurate. You are not required to engage with compulsory activation. But the stated conditions for jobseekers benefit are the same otherwise - one of which is being available for and looking for work. It is the enforcement of this that differs after 62.

Maybe not technically accurate, but it's a bit like a policeman saying: "You're not allowed to burgle that house, but I'm not allowed to arrest you".

If there is no compulsory activation then it is essentially a cheque in the post.

Believe me, I am right. That’s exactly the way it worked for me. No question of having to be available for work if over age 62. It was never even raised in my meeting with the local Intreo office.

Believe me, I am right. That’s exactly the way it worked for me. No question of having to be available for work if over age 62. It was never even raised in my meeting with the local Intreo office.

I agree that is the way it works in practice. But the stated conditions for Jobseekers Benefit do not change, whether you are over 62 ,or over 65 (apart from the requirement to engage with the activation process). The stated condition remains that you are available for, and looking for, work. It is the same application form with the same relevant questions which need to be answered appropriately. I know that this is subsequently ignored at interview.

The only thing that technically changes after 62 is that you are not required to participate in activation.

Maharabeg should have no difficuly with his application - he should just ignore this technicality - as everyone else will.

Back