Jobseekers benefit declined

Discussion in 'Welfare and state benefits' started by Michael Herman, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Michael Herman

Michael Herman Registered User

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Hi everybody,
    following situation: i worked about 5 years in a very stressfull IT environement.
    I got quite ill at one point so I decided to look for alternative employment preferably part time.
    For transition and to ease the financial burden I applied for job seekers benefit.
    I stated in my application that I was looking for part -time work. I also got a GP cert that at this moment in time I was fit for part time work.
    I now got the decision that I am not entiteled to Job seekers benefit because I was not available for full time work.
    I was informed that I might qualify for job seekers credits and that I am entitled to appeal the decision within 3 weeks from today.
    Question is would an appeal have any chance of success?
    Second question: if my personal circumstances change and I was available for full time would I just apply a second time for unemployment benefits?
    Sorry I am not very smart with this as I have never claimed before..
    Sorry this might be better in the section - if the Mod could move it.
    Redundancy, unemployment & jobseekers entitlements

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  2. Palerider

Palerider Frequent Poster

Apply again, you must be available and seeking full time employment, if you have the contributions you will get the help.

3. Mojisola

Mojisola New Member

I went for holiday for 4 weeks for my father's burial and I informed the jobseeker officer and I submitting the holiday form. On getting back to claim back my jobseeker allowance, I was told my jb was closed that I should reapply again which I did. I received the feedback today that my claim is disallowed. I will be going back to college in sept and am in rent arrears. What can I do because my husband means test weekly is 193 euro and I have 4 children.

4. PaddyBloggit

PaddyBloggit Frequent Poster

... which means you are not available for or seeking full time employment.

5. Bronte

Bronte Frequent Poster

What is the relevence of the husband? Does he work?

6. Bronte

Bronte Frequent Poster

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 9:17 AM
    https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/exact-duration-job-seekers-benefit.209208/

- ceased working and got job seekers benefit in November 2017
    - that lasts 9 months and is based on your working history and prsi payments
    - after that you can apply for job seekers allowance, but you are means tested for this, and you must be willing and able to work
    - OP is not willing to work full time, wishes to work part time, which is not allowed
    - OP is not able to work because she is going to college next month

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Jobseeker's-Benefit.aspx

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 9:17 AM