Jobseeker's allowance after redundancy

Calico

Hello All,

Well, unfortunately for me, I am about to be made redundant in the next couple of weeks, so I have a question about applying for jobseeker's allowance.

My question is this: Do I have to apply for jobseeker's allowance straight away, or can I possibly leave it for a few months. If so, would it be backdated once I finally applied?

My reason for asking is because I was unemployed a number of years ago during a very difficult time in my life. I promised myself then that I wouldn't ever sign-on again if I could at all help it. So I want to be able to give myself a few months of trying to find another job and using whatever small redundancy payment I receive to survive before applying for the dole again. However, if that happens and I have to swallow my pride in the end, would they backdate it from the time I lost my job, as by that time I would really need the money.

Thanks in advance,

Cali

It won't be backdated - you would only be eligible for Jobseeker's Benefit or Allowance from the date you sign on.

My commiserations on your predicament.

I think you should sign on. You are entitled to the Jobseekers. The bankers, developers, speculators and politicians have no compunction in taking all they can and being bailed out by us ordinary citizens.

Save your redundancy. Times are tough and will get even tougher given the new stealth taxes and austerity measures.

If you get an opportunity at another job or small business start-up, that redundancy will come in handy!

Good luck!

Sign on, I presume it is jobseekers benefit you are claiming and not allowance, if so then if you have the contributions paid you are entitled to the benefit. You might need your own money further down the road so don't be foolish about this now and not claim your entitlements.

Back