Jobseeker Allowance

el-jimbo

Hi,

I finished work at the end of August and went in to sign on straight away after. I was told I would have to be assessed and that this would take a few weeks. I signed on for 2 weeks, then got a weeks work so didnt sign on that week and was away for a few days the following week so didn't sign on either. I signed on again this week. I've yet to be assessed so my question is when can I expect my first payment? Will I have to wait until after I've been assessed or will there be money waiting in the post office for me today? Its my first time on the dole so I really don't understand the whole thing so if anyone can give me any info I'd greatly appreciate it

Hi Jimbo. The fact that you didn't sign on for two weeks, if I am correct, would invalidate your original claim so therefore your claim would only start from this week. Given that you were working one week and away the next means that you were not available for work and that is one of the criteria for getting jobseekers. Yes you would need to be assessed first, as they need to investigate your means through a means test.

This can take a few weeks, so in the meantime what you can do, is go to your local Community Welfare Officer, tell him/her your situation and they will decide if you are entitled to a Supplementary Welfare payment until your claim is awarded. The people at your social welfare office will be able to tell you where to go and at what times the Welfare Officer is available.

When your claim comes through, it will be backdated to the date you signed on, and then whatever payment you have received as supplementary welfare will be deducted.

Hope this is of some help to you :)

There's a long backlog on processing Jobseeker claims at the moment, so you could be waiting a while. When your claim has been awarded, you usually get a letter telling you how much you're entitled to and what your payment day will be, etc. If you didn't get that, your claim hasn't been decided yet.

If you have no income in the meantime you may be entitled to Supplementary Welfare Allowance from the CWO in your local health centre. It's a means-tested payment, if you qualify, payment can be made until your circumstances change (e.g. you start work) or your Jobseeker's payments begin. Any money paid to you by the CWO is recouped from the Jobseeker arrears.

Last edited:
Back