Jobs for the weekend,what's yours??

Do you recommend putting a sealer on the patio or driveway to protect them?? :rolleyes:
Whats with the roll eyes emoticon?
I usually spray on a sealer from Kilsaran after Ive power washed down the driveway

emoticon............Dunno, it looks good.
Sealer is very expensive in Hardware DIY...........do Kilsaran do it in large containers?

emoticon............Dunno, it looks good.
Sealer is very expensive in Hardware DIY...........do Kilsaran do it in large containers?

They do it in large containers.I get it off them through a friend of mine at trade price so its handy for me.
But Ive also bought 5 litre containers of it before in BnQ when theres a 20% off weekend on.

Not sunny here, bitter cold and alternating between hailstones and rain. Yesterday wasn't too bad, got the car washed for NCT on Monday and put new wiper blades on. Washed the windows while I was at it after the recent storms, pointless exercise really but at least I can see out the kitchen window again for another while. There will be none of this washing when the water charges kick in!

I see that this years seed potatoes are now in Woodies. I will be looking back over last years successes and failures and planning what variety to purchase this year. Most likely go with Homeguard again but as always I will try a different variety also to see how they compare. I need to start moving my compost from the compost heap to my raised beds to let this further break down over the next two months before planting out my potatoes on St. Patricks Day.
I also picked up some French Beans seeds from Lidl who also have their seeds in store at about €1.50 a pack. I have always found that the French Bean seeds sell quickly.
Still harvesting spinach, kale, turnip, chard and lettuce from my garden that I planted late last summer. My cabbages that were suffering under fleeces are now growing well because we have 9 blackbirds in our garden removing and eating all the pests as they chase each other before choosing a mate.

I see that this years seed potatoes are now in Woodies. I will be looking back over last years successes and failures and planning what variety to purchase this year. Most likely go with Homeguard again but as always I will try a different variety also to see how they compare. My cabbages that were suffering under fleeces are now growing well because we have 9 blackbirds in our garden removing and eating all the pests as they chase each other before choosing a mate.

Mr Middleton have a great selection of seed potatoes.You can buy from their store in Mary Street or buy online and collect from their warehouse in Glasnevin.They also deliver too.
I recently bought some plants and veg off them and also from Howth Garden Centre in Howth.The quality of plants and veg from both places is fantastic.

http://www.howthgardencentre.ie/

[broken link removed]

http://www.mrmiddleton.com/

Yes you cant beat the sight and sound of blackbirds in the garden on a winters day.It brings a nice sense of relaxation to a garden when you see and hear them.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive a few Blechnum Penna-Marina to spare now,as I bought a few too many.Planted 20 of them around a tree stump today and that was more than enough to fill up the space that I wanted to fill up.Ive 5 of them to spare now.
Also planted up alot of Ajuga Reptans (Chocolate Chip).These are a lovely ground covering black leaved carpet plant that send up lovely little spikes of purple flowers each spring.
All my Camassia bulbs have just broken the surface so Im hoping for a fantastic display of white and purple from this March and April comming.

Thankyou to Leo and Brendan for re-opening this thread.:)

Lets keep this thread going and make it a good informative and friendly thread where people can post about their weekend plans and what they did and didnt get time to do around the garden or house.:)

So my job or plans for this weekend is to give the gardens a look over and see how all the shrubs and plants are doing,and also to plant the last few Camassia Leichtlinii bulbs that I found sitting in a seed tray.They have started to sprout shoots so best get them into the ground asap.

I also plan on planting the last of my Fritillaria Meleagris/Snakeshead bulbs too.Ive about another 50 of these to plant so want to get them into the ground for the weekend.
These bulbs get planted into the soil on their "sides" so that they dont take in water and rot away.If you plant them in the normal manner then they wont flower and just rot away from water ingress.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back