Job-sharing - how it affects pension

Paddylast

I've been told by my HR dept in the past that the fact that I job-share means I effectively have 26 weeks per year worked rather than 52. However, my job-share partner insist that as she works every week - two days one week and three the next and pays PRSI for both weeks then she has 52 weeks to her credit i.e. she works every week not ever second week.
As our pensions will be affected I'd like to get some definitive information. Our HR is useless on anything like this - so no point in going that route.
Does anyone know how this type of job-sharing is viewed?

For your occupational pension (not the PRSI based state pension), you are both accumulating half-service (6 months service for every 12 months in employment).

The PRSI contribution week is based on the day of the week that 1st Jan falls on. So it may be possible to have 52 contributions based on a split-week jobshare. If I recall, split-week jobsharers have to switch their work pattern every few years, depending on when 1st Jan falls (e.g. Wed-Tue pattern changes to Thu-Wed pattern) to ensure the max no of PRSI contributions are assigned to employees.

There's an explanation in this SW leaflet Employer's guide to PRSI

thanks gipimann, for your help. Have been in this job sharing role for 9 years but have not heard anything about switching the work pattern. will check that out now. Thanks again.

Although this is an old thread I find I have the same query. My wife has been offered job sharing week on, week off, not a split week 3/2 as above, I suspect there are PRSI implications and maybe pension issues, she is a State employee. Any idea how this would impact her ?

Back