Job Seekers Benefit

laineymc

I am having trouble getting an answer to this question. I am voluntarily leaving a job in May and going on holiday. I will go into the social welfare and make my application BEFORE I go away for 8 weeks. I know there can be a disqualification period of 9 weeks. this is fine but I want to know if this starts and runs while I'm away, or must it start when I get back from holiday??

Why not make your application before you go, make no mention of the holiday and have someone watch your post while you're away and the disqualification period gets used up?

That might be construed as fraud - you have to be available and seeking work to claim JSB and afaik this also applies to the disqualification period.

Hopefully someone better versed in social welfare will clarify.

Thanks, I did try ringing the social welfare office but was just told 'a deciding officer will decide on my case when I apply'. They couldn't even give me a general idea of what happens in my kind of situation. Its annoying that I must be 'available for work' when they are not going to be giving me anything anyway :-(

Hello,

I assume you are getting a package in excess of your statutory redundancy payment, in which case there is "up to" a nine week delay, before you can collect your weekly payment under the Benefit scheme (which runs for nine months).

I know of someone who was recently in this position, made the initial application and explained to their officer that they were going on holiday for three weeks, which did not present a problem and the three weeks was "allowed" as part of the nine week period, prior to commencement of payments.

I personally suspect that as long as you are going to be both available and genuinely trying to find work, from the date you collect your first payment, that they will work with you. Obviously, this assumes that you've qualified for the payment and also, that you do comply with all requirements, during the period that you collect the weekly benefit. From time to time, you will be invited to interview, for a coaching session or a course and youu must attend these, unless you are absent by prior agreement.

Thanks MrEarl, I'm actually leaving voluntarily so I won't be getting redundancy - but your answer makes sense, yes I will be available for work from when they start paying me and my holiday is during the disqualification period anyway so hopefully I will get a fair 'deciding officer' :)

The deciding officer may wish to see you in the weeks after you apply to interview you.

Back