Job Seekers Benefit and the contributory pension..

Can I just ask if a person has say 30 years paid contributions and retires at say 50 or indeed anytime up to 58 that it will mean that to access a fully paid up non means tested state contributory pension at age 68 that these years count for nothing if no contributions are made for 10 years before that person gains access to their contributory pension ..?, If so that means a person cannot 'retire' at age 58 and live off proceeds of a previous lifes work in anticipation of the State being there from say age 68 ..?

In 2020 the rules for qualifying for a Contributors State pension will change. It will be calculated on the number of PRSI contributions that have been paid rather than the present yearly average formula. The minimum will be 10 years to qualify for a pension and the maximum 30 years will give you a full pension.
Under the present yearly average formula retiring early and not signing on for credits(which can only be done if you are unemployed and actively seeking work) will actually decrease the yearly average and ultimately the amount of pension you will receive....but you will receive a pension for the 30 years contributions you have made.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/Pension/Pages/statepensionchanges.aspx

Hi everyone
Just quick question. Im bit confused on this stage now. I would appreciate if you could help me.out with this.
Im.working part time max 24hrs a week over 3days so im getting the jobsseekers allowance everytime im within 3days and max 24hrs in work.
Im just wondering if this payment is counted into my pension or how long do I need to be on that jobsseekers allowance.also the girl in social welfare told me to applyyfor fis as we have 7month old baby.but I will need to cancel my jobsseekers allowance.
My question to you is.is there any benefit for me to switch from jobsseekers allowance into fis?!
Any help will be greatly appreciated

When you work, you pay PRSI contributions.
When you sign for jobseekers, you are given a PRSI contribution credit.

PRSI contributions (paid or credited) will be counted towards your pension (only one contribution per week can be counted, so it will either be the paid contribution or the credit).

It might have been suggested that you switch from jobseeker's allowance to FIS (family income supplement) because you would be entitled to more money on FIS. If you qualify for FIS, it is paid each week and reviewed once each year. You would not have to sign on each month if you are on FIS. You must work a minimum of 19 hours per week to be eligible for FIS - if your work hours go below 19 regularly, you might not qualify.

When you work, you pay PRSI contributions.
When you sign for jobseekers, you are given a PRSI contribution credit.

PRSI contributions (paid or credited) will be counted towards your pension (only one contribution per week can be counted, so it will either be the paid contribution or the credit).

It might have been suggested that you switch from jobseeker's allowance to FIS (family income supplement) because you would be entitled to more money on FIS. If you qualify for FIS, it is paid each week and reviewed once each year. You would not have to sign on each month if you are on FIS. You must work a minimum of 19 hours per week to be eligible for FIS - if your work hours go below 19 regularly, you might not qualify.
Thanks for you help gipiman. So I can get highpoteticly more money on FIS but none of the contribution is that correct?
I wouldn't have to.ask in here about that.If the people in citizen office would be more friendly and answer my question in exactly same way as you did.
I know it's sounds silly but im just not getting all this at aall. And The help that is provided to us is just useless.
Thank you again :)

Back