Job seekers and travelling

outofmymind

Registered User
Messages
134
I might be leaving work and signing on for Job seekers benefit or pay related job seekers in the near future. I have a 3-week trip planned for a few months time, which would fall within the 9 months of benefit entitlement. I know that I can have 2 weeks holiday, but what happens if I want 3 weeks? Do I lose all the money for the 3 weeks? Just lose one week? Or do I lose money (1 wk or 3wks) at the time but then have 'extra' weeks added to the end? And what evidence do the Social Welfare want for the travel dates? Thanks.
 
This is how it looks with JPRB, it is certainly similar with Jobseeker Benefit .
Read this :


A person shall be disallowed from receiving Jobseeker’s Pay-Related Benefit while they are absent from the state.
There are two exceptions to this disqualification:
Absence from the state
A person may receive Jobseeker’s Pay-Related Benefit for 2 weeks in any calendar year while absent from the state for example for holidays or funerals abroad etc.
A person is required to inform their Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office 2 weeks in advance of their departure, and they must complete the JPRB30 Absence from the state form.
All payments should be made retrospectively, and it is not necessary for the person to present themselves at the office after their return in order for normal payments to resume and arrears due to issue. If a person is absent from the state for longer than 2 weeks, they may be paid in respect of the first two weeks but should be disqualified for any period abroad in excess of this.
Persons who have been approved for unpaid absence from the state outside of the standard 2 weeks, should be asked to attend upon their return. It should also be noted that officers retain the discretion to invite any person to return to the office after being absent from the state where it is considered that there is a valid reason for doing so.
 
Thanks for that Emelem. So if 'disqualified' for the extra week does that then mean I would essentially only get 38 weeks money, or would I have an extra week paid at the end ie 39 out of 40 weeks paid?
 
I last reported my absence online in December, it's possible on my MyWelfare account. No one asked me anything. I received back pay for the absence after my return. However, I think that if you're absent for three weeks, they'll want you to explain the long absence. You'll need a reason (e.g., a vacation planned well in advance), but I don't think you'll need to show any proof. And of course, they won't pay you for the third week.
 
I've been reading a bit about this and haven't seen this information anywhere, but I think they won't pay you for this week, but they'll count it towards your 39 weeks. This means you'll be on benefits for 39 weeks (if you've worked for over 5 years) and they'll pay you for 38. And they won't extend your benefits to 40 weeks.You weren't available for work in the third week, so they won't pay.
 

"Breaks in a Jobseeker’s Pay-Related Benefit Claim​

A person may break their Jobseeker’s Pay-Related Benefit claim for up to 13 weeks and resume where they left off from the previous claim.

Breaks greater than 13 weeks will result in the claim being closed and a person will be required to re-qualify and satisfy the conditions of the scheme. The rate of payment will be re-calculated based on recent earnings as part of the re-application process."



You can take a break for 3 weeks and resume where you left off.


​

 
If your employment was full time, you will only qualify for Jobseekers. Pay Related Benefit.
 
Part time employees can qualify for both schemes.
You will probably be offered the one that gives the highest payment. I don't know if you would be allowed to opt for the lower paying benefit.

A friend who qualified for the minimum rate of PRJB and wanted to choose to just receive credits with no payments, was told they qualified for payments and that was the only choice.

Other posters have stated that they were allowed to delay Jobseekers benefit payments.
 
I believe you are entitled to take two weeks holiday and you will receive back payment on your return. You must notify the department in advance though
 
Back
Top