Job seekers and part time work

RowanTree

Hi,
Is there any entitlement to work part time / seasonal work while on / keep job seekers?
This work would be declared, potentially 7 hours a week, each week over 7 months.
Thanks

If you take on temporary work whilst claiming Jobseekers your SW benefit will be reduced depending on the number of days you work each week. So if you worked one day a week then you would get 4 days (4/5ths) Jobseekers Benefit.

Thanks for replying.
When I give up the work again would the benefit be increased back up to five days? Would my benefit I receive be subject to how much I earn?

Jobseekers Benefit which is payable for a max of 9 months is an entitlement based on your PRSI record. If you give up work within the 9 months it will revert to the full rate. The benefit is based on the number of days worked, not how much you earn. But in claiming JB you are expected to be actively seeking full-time employment.
After the 9 months you can claim Jobseekers Allowance, but this is means tested. Again you are expected to be actively seeking employment and the local SW office will expect you to produce evidence of what you are doing to seek employment.

Back