Job seekers allowance if I resign to start my own business

shonad

hi there
I have recently quit my job to start up my own business. The jobseekers allowance would be really helpful in keeping my going for the next few months. I know there is a 9 week waiting period, if one resigns, that is discretionary and I'm wondering if telling them I am trying to set up my own business if more or less likely to reduce this time?

Anyone have any insight into this?
thanks

Now I am open to correction on this as things may have changed but I would have thought rather than help your case it would hinder it to tell them you are trying to set up a business. To get JA/JB you need to be available for and seeking full time work.

If you have been working I am assuming it is Jobseekers Benefit you are applying for and not Jobseekers Allowance?

If that is correct then I would wait until the benefit is up and running then apply for the Short Term Enterprise Allowance http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Short-Term-Enterprise-Allowance.aspx which basically is just changing the name of the benefit for the time it is payable and allows you work on your new business.

However it does say that it is for people who have lost their jobs, you might want to be careful around the terminology you use regarding losing/leaving the job :) I'd imagine the reason you left the job could be important, if you let just because you are starting your own business then I'd be inclined to think you would be entitled to neither JB or STEA as you are not seeking work initially to qualify for the JB which you have to have to convert to STEA.

Now if you left your job because you couldn't hack the stress anymore and are now looking for work but don't find anything within the next 9 weeks or after that might be different, and you might have no option but to consider self employment in due course :)

hi Monbretia
thanks for your reply, I think you are right. It's a shame after decades of working I have to jump through these hoops :-( it's not like I want to stay on this forever.
I can certainly find some reasons for leaving my previous job that might be acceptable

thanks

Gotta stick within the rules though! I agree with the decades of working thing but unfortunately it's kind of a catch all system and you would have had the same entitlements after only working a couple of years and possibly even better options if you had not been working at all for years as JA converts to a benefit payable for longer if you are starting your own business.

Be sure you get approval for the STEA before starting your new venture, everything you do between now and then is 'market research' :)

Hi Shonad, just wondering did you get through all the 'red tape' and get near starting yet?

Back