Job redeployment

Salem

I have worked for an international company for the last 4 years in a department
that required a 3rd level technical certification.
My contract stated that I may be required to help out in other areas of the
factory when my department wasn't busy. This has been OK as a few days per month
of quarter was all I was needed for.
Me and my colleagues have now been told that starting from this year we will be
redeployed to another department for 8 weeks per quarter working as general
operators under different management. This will mean we will be working in another
department for 32 weeks and only 20 in our department in a technical role.
Can anyone give us advise on this ? Can this be done ?
We were told we have no choice ...

This sounds like a substantive change in your role in the company. Has work slowed down in your department to this extent? Why the shift in role? perhaps company is experiencing difficulties in trading and this is a way to stave off redundancies?

I'm presuming in all of this that there is no change in your benifits, salary etc.
Given what you said your contract states, it's difficult to see why they can't do it, providing the give you the necessary training to carry out the role. After all, the alternative may be a p45 if the business doesn't require you to do your current role full time

My department is busy for the last week in the first two months and last three weeks
of a quarter. In between we have our own housekeeping to keep up with.
They are definitely not experiencing difficulties in trading.
I suppose what annoys us is the fact we're being sent to work in an area
that min. wage workers are happy to be in. The role does not require any training.
We were employed as technicians and will have our benefits and salary
no matter where we work.
Put it this way ... If a supervisor in a supermarket wasn't too busy could their
manager make them pack the shelves for more time than they would be supervising ?

Does the contract say "with the consent of the employee"? Mine did and I was able to fight an attempted redeployment.

"With consent of the employee" is not mentioned in contract shesells ...
Were you in a similar situation ?
We feel redeployment to an area beneficial to the company and us if possible would
make more sense then the other way around ...

Back