Job Offer - My question: Is it expected that I make a counter offer?

FCBC12

Currently mulling over a job offer from a new employer I applied to. The offer is better than my current, and I don't foresee any added responsibility. The location is more suitable, and non-monetary compensation is also better, so I will likely accept.

My question: Is it expected that I make a counter offer?

Been with my current employer for years so I'm out of touch with what is deemed acceptable or what is out of order. My potential new employer, I can see good scope for career progression, so on one hand I don't want to be bite the future hand that feeds me but also, I don't want to be seen as a soft touch.

Any suggestions or insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

My question: Is it expected that I make a counter offer?
I don't think there's a 'norm' that applies to all industries/ levels. Have they already issued a contract to you, or just an offer?

There's possibly something in your offer that you're not eligible for bonus / pay review until 2025? If there is, factor that in to your decision. I've had people applying for roles over pitch their salary expectations on this basis - they're asking now for the salary they think they'll want next year.

Something else to consider, are you eligible to join the pension scheme immediately, or only after 6 / 12 months?

Does the offer correspond to what you asked for when you spoke about your salary expectations?

In my experience offers are open to negotation but dont get your expectations too high. You might negotiate a package worth 2 or 3 % above the opening offer but not more. Be prepared if the negotiation does not go your way to back down and dont make any unreasonable demands or back yourself into a corner. You could explain to them that you are keen to accept their offer and that a couple of percentage above would make your mind up.

Yes. I’d go back and say that you are really interested in the role, but that you had hoped for a little more. See what you get
And assume what they offer at that stage would be their final offer. If you are serious about the move, dont use this as a bargaining tool with your current employer as that usually is a short term fix

“ usually is a short term fix“That’s usually the opposite. What you go in at first off is what the increases are based off of.

@FCB12 it’s a great question. And I think DeeKie has the best idea, just ask for more. And the let them come back, to get you they may go €1 or €2 or €5K more (depending on your offer). But do a bit of research yourself to see where you should be with your job and experience.

This week I was hiring after interviewing. The candidates were recent graduates with less than one year of experience. During the interviews one expressed a desire for a salary of 25% more than we would offer based on their experience. So they were discounted. Then we offered the job to another candidate who also countered with the same 25% higher. Which lead to some soul searching on our part, were we in the ballpark or not. So we did review the offer, the other similar roles within our company and what we could benchmark it to elsewhere. And we stuck firm, and they declined. We offered to our next candidate and they accepted on the spot. There was very little between the two candidates we did offer the role to, there was nothing extra special about the first choice candidate that would make us think we needed them at all costs, so we did not come up in the offer. if the candidate had more experience I would have come up, but probably not to their offer, but maybe enough that I was still in budget and sufficient to maybe meet the candidate, it would be up to them to accept/decline.

I don't want to be seen as a soft touch.

Does the offer correspond to what you asked for when you spoke about your salary expectations?

This really is the key. What discussions did you have about salary during the interview process.

If you said you expected €50k and they have offered you €50k, then it would not be appropriate to ask for more.

If you said you expected €50k and they offered you €40k, then it would be reasonable to ask for the €50k.

If you had no discussions about salary, it would be unusual but it would make it a bit more difficult to navigate.

Did you apply directly or is it via a recruitment consultant? If it's through a recruitment consultant they could sound out the employer.

I’d go back and say that you are really interested in the role, but that you had hoped for a little more.

This is a good approach. Don't mess them around. If you are going to turn down the job, then don't ask for an increase.
If you are going to accept the job, tell them that you are really interested but would want more.

Be prepared for a counter offer from your current employer. In general, it's not a good idea to accept a counter-offer.

Brendan

There some stat along the lines that 80% of people who accept a counteroffer from their current employer end up leaving within a year. Basically, because the reasons that drove the desire to leave are still there bubbling away.

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments, has been very helpful.

I'm happy with what the new employer has offered. It is in line with what I expected and above what was advertised, so will likely accept what they've put forward.

I'm happy with what the new employer has offered. It is in line with what I expected and above what was advertised,

Good point.

It's good policy to call the key person involved and tell them that you are happy with the offer and will be accepting it.

Brendan

My experience, for what it’s worth, is that the people who shout loudest and make demands don’t get as well looked after as the people who are good at what they do and say “thanks” when something good happens (bonus, salary increase, etc).

“ usually is a short term fix“That’s usually the opposite. What you go in at first off is what the increases are based off of.
While maximising the starting salary makes perfect sense, it does not follow that all future increases will be dependent on it. Most companies do not give everyone the same percentage increase. The rate is individual and determined by their current salary, where it sits within the range for that grade, and the individual's performance.

So if you manage to negotiate a starting salary at the higher end of the grade, you're unlikely to see any major increases until such time as you're promoted to the next level. That said, yo'll still be better off overall than starting lower on the grade and getting increments towards the top of the scale over the first few years.

Back