Job based clothing allowance

maison

Is it true that if you teach/lecture you can claim tax credits on a clothing allowance? If so how do you do this?

Yes it's true. Just ring up the tax office and they put it on your PAYE allowances. Think it's about(not sure of the exact amount) €600 at 20%. ie €120 in reality.

Yes it's true. Just ring up the tax office and they put it on your PAYE allowances. Think it's about(not sure of the exact amount) €600 at 20%. ie €120 in reality.

is this separate to the expenses in employment credit teachers get which is a general one, not related to clothing allowance?

Actually probably not Webtax. I've done both teaching and working in a hosp and you get more of a tax credit as a teacher. I just assumed it was for clothing as in hosp work it's supposed to be for uniforms ect.

Is the clothing allowance you are talking about only for teacher or can other people apply for it?

Only appears to be teachers and those in that kindof field- i was entitled to it when i did some supervision work a few years ago and only realise what the benefit was when it stopped the following year when i got a different job. Don't know why the allowance was ever given - must be for those leather patches that were needed on the elbows of the jackets to show you were a teacher!

This is known as the flat-rate expenses allowance.

See here:

[broken link removed]

Back