Job application - unsuitable Why?

Turbury

Hi all,
Does anyone know what information (if any) you are entitled to regarding unsucessfull job applications. I recently applied for a job put wasn't even called for interview, I do not know why, can I ask the company to tell me why I was unsuitable for the position?

Sure you can give them a call and ask. However, I doubt that you get much out of it. There is no legal obligation to tell you.

yes, under the freedom of information act they are entitled to tell you why you were unsuitable and this information will be very useful when applying for other jobs.maybe if you study the criteria this will give you the information you are seeking....
Don't go in with all guns blazing ... ask politely and who knows where it will get you. good luck

I think that the Freedom of Information only applies to public bodies.

You could write a very nice letter to the company saying that you really wanted to work for them and that you were disappointed not to be called for interview and is there any feedback they could give you on your shortcomings.

Brendan

I think I have read here before that you can request under data protection laws, but was sceptical as to whether this was correct.

Did you meet all the criteria?

I do not know why, can I ask the company to tell me why I was unsuitable for the position?
I'd be very nervous about giving out information like that. Might end up in some employment tribunal for discrimination or something.

Maybe the position was withdrawn.

In the old days you could ring up and someone may give you a few helpful pointers, eg cv was bad, experience not sufficient etc.
However, in this day and age of litigation any sensible employer should say nothing as they have no obligation to do so.
Don't be wasting time and energy, drop it and keep looking.

The job was a lecturing position in a third level college and I met all the criteria. The main reason I would like to get the info. is to improve my chances next time - thanks for all the replies!

Sorry to sound cynical, but could it have been a job that was 'earmarked' for someone (internally) and just advertised as a matter of following procedure?

Sorry to sound cynical, but could it have been a job that was 'earmarked' for someone (internally) and just advertised as a matter of following procedure?

Having had experience of such appointments, they still have to hold interviews even if only for the sake of appearances, especially for public jobs.

The job was a lecturing position in a third level college and I met all the criteria. The main reason I would like to get the info. is to improve my chances next time - thanks for all the replies!

Then the FOI Act applies. You are entitled to get copies of the notes that the interview panel made during your interview and how they scored you.

Then the FOI Act applies. You are entitled to get copies of the notes that the interview panel made during your interview and how they scored you.

The problem for the OP was that they did not get an interview and want to know why so this does not apply

The problem for the OP was that they did not get an interview and want to know why so this does not apply
There should be a record of the shortlisting evaluation, and the OP can ask for an explanation of why they were not shortlisted. Most public bodies will have policies or codes of practice on recruitment which will commit them to provide such information.

You are entitled to know the reason whay you were not 'shortlised' for interview.

I'd ring/write and ask for same first.

As a person who conducts interviews for potential employees I first separate my applications into two piles. A definate no and the ones with potential. The potentials are then divided into various groups and depending on the number of applicants interviews are arranged in blocks. This can be a very time consuming process and sometimes we may have over 100 potentials, we can not interview everyone. A suitable applicant is often found before all potentials are interviewed. I would not take it personally, sometimes it is just the luck of the draw.

Back