job advertised for long tim

narky

I saw a job on irishjobs.ie about 6 weeks ago. didn't apply but then after regretting not applying looked up this job and it is still there. sent off my cv last week and havent heard anything. rang the other day to see if the post is still free and they said they hadnt filled it yet.

just think this is really strange. is it strange to be advertising a post that long? i was then thinking that maybe they hadn't received any suitable applicants but then that put me thinking that if they thought i was suitable they would have called by now .... oh bother

would just like to know anyone's thoughts on this

oh my god you are joking me.... am i that naive that i didn't know that was what happened.... so peed off now :(

just read back on the email they sent me to say that they are reviewing all applicants and will get back in due time. god how depressing.

I don't know.

There aren't many people who could fit the description: "long tim". They have to cast their net wide.

Brendan

Given the crisis that we face perhaps they're looking for [broken link removed]?

Or, the job is open but hiring has been frozen for Q1. So while there is no movement on it, it is expected that it will unfreeze soon.

Or, job is open, company taking an eternity to make up their minds. Meanwhile, agency can't close the job off, so it stays up on the boards, being refreshed every two days.

Both of these scenarios have been happening a lot lately. It is very frustrating for all concerned.

You don't say if it was an agency or company. If it's an agency, it's true, there is a strong chance the job doesn't exist.

If it's a company, I don't think 6 weeks is a long time. Longer than normal? Probably, but not unreasonably long. :)

Re: job advertised for long time

or maybe it was my job thats advertised!!! im out sick from work & they have advertised my job. Was tipped off from a work colleague that their advertising to see what comes in, in case i dont go back. job has been up a few weeks now. they havent interviewed anyone to date. Like the OP's post their sending out emails stating they'll be in touch blah blah blah

im temped to apply under a different name to see what their paying ;)

hi thanks for all the replies. the job was advertised by employer but then they said in their email that they have a recruitment service also and will keep my cv on file for other positions... it's not anywhere on their website that they are a recruitment agency. feel bit duped

common practice by job sites by the sound of things, most of them are doing to make it look like they actually have jobs on there site despite there not being many available

I have been watching a job since beginning of January - it's prob the same one and it hasn't moved yet it started off with recruitment agencies and now they advertising it themselves.....we wait

I saw a job on irishjobs.ie about 6 weeks ago. didn't apply but then after regretting not applying looked up this job and it is still there. sent off my cv last week and havent heard anything. rang the other day to see if the post is still free and they said they hadnt filled it yet.

just think this is really strange. is it strange to be advertising a post that long? i was then thinking that maybe they hadn't received any suitable applicants but then that put me thinking that if they thought i was suitable they would have called by now .... oh bother

would just like to know anyone's thoughts on this

Most companies now are playing 'wait and see' about opening up new jobs, it could be many reasons...

1. Budget not approved by head office but need for new person is there, waiting for clearance and assembling CVs

2. Getting ready to replace somebody who they think will leave soon

3. Just checking what's going on out there , are people leaving rival companies

4. Fake job ad by recruiter (not likely in your case)

5. Hoping to pick up good professional from rival company

I have been watching a job since beginning of January - it's prob the same one and it hasn't moved yet it started off with recruitment agencies and now they advertising it themselves.....we wait

Ive received 2 requests in last 6 months to go for a job with the company Im working for in the position Im working in. We're a small team and not only are we not taking people on we've had to let people go over last few weeks.

I dont bother getting back to the agencys but I know to avoid them if I go looking in the future.

Back