jingley sound behind bedroom wall?

J

joeyjay

just wondering if any body has had this problem before, or if you could offer any advice. My house is about 5 years old, in the main bedroom, there is a strange 'jingly' sound coming from behind the wall, really bad when the wind blows (no sleep lastnight :()
a friend thought maybe a metal tix had come loose from the partition and suggested drilling a small hole and filing with expanding foam, hubby's at home and tried this, but jingly noise is still there. this is the bedroom wall at the side of my semi detached house, so not joined to neighbours.
any suggestions greatly appreciated as I think he might take a sledgehammer to it at this stage:eek:

Is is an outside wall? Is there a vent on it? If it is worse when winmd is stroi=ong, there must be access from outside to cause the noise. Perhpas it's not ti"in" the wall? What about examining from the attic to see if there are gaps to outside at the roof joining?

thanks,
it's the inside of the outside wall if you get me. we had our attic converted last year, so access may be a problem. apologies, didnt realise a typo, it should have said 'a fixing' may have come loose and is twirling around in the wind, it is alot worse when the wind is strong.

I call it jingles, it sounds like tops off Budweiser bottles rattling together when the wind blows, thats the best way to describe it.. I'd love to record it..it drives me mad.

Are you sure it isn't something outside the house, in a neighbour's garden or something? Stating the obvious maybe, but wind chimes??

Are you sure it isn't something outside the house, in a neighbour's garden or something? Stating the obvious maybe, but wind chimes??

that would be my thoughts, the noise is perhaps amplified by the rooms passive vent.
have you traced the exact location where the noise is entering the room?

ah holy God lads, I'm a woman :eek:
I'll ask my hubby to read your comments and check it out when I get home. and see if he can shed anymore light on the situation.. when I press the wall.. it kinda moves abit :confused:

...examining from the attic to see if there are gaps to outside at the roof joining?
There are (or should be) "gaps" at the eaves to allow for air circulation through the attic in order to prevent condensation forming on the inside of the roof.

I would suspect some loose fixing from the time of the attic conversation, probably between the roof and one of the new walls.

Unless the crows and pigeons are alcoholic...

when I press the wall.. it kinda moves abit :confused:

Plasterboard broken up/collapsing a bit, and pieces being moved around via wind through vent, and pinging off the metal part of the wall sockets?

Maybe not...:eek:

Sorry so late,

Do you have esb, ntl, phone etc on the gable .. the wire attaching this can make very odd noises. We had similat issue with ntl cable, got it buried instead.

Back