Jewellery repair in UK: will customs apply?

keepon

I've to send a reasonably expensive piece of jewellery to Britain for repair under guarantee (in spite of buying it in the EU).
The retailer stipulates that I have to bear the cost of return.
I can live with that, but I'm wondering if, since the piece will need to be insured and therefore the value declared, will I be liable for import/customs charges going into the UK and then coming back here?
Any advice gratefully accepted.

(An Post say their service isn't insured... DPD say they won't take jewellery, and UPS's support said I'd have to talk to customs myself...)

Thanks The-Chris.... they actually say that personal deliveries are not allowed and that it has to be by parcel post. My guess is that they are making the barrier to guarantee claims as high as they can...

You can apply to revenue for a full or partial exemption for goods send out of the EU for repair.

a reasonably expensive piece of jewellery to Britain for repair
What is "reasonably expensive"? This kind of term is very elastic.

This process seems to make sense but it seems quite bureaucratic for private individual and I suspect you could easily go wrong.

You can apply to revenue for a full or partial exemption for goods send out of the EU for repair.

I'd be carrying it on me on a cheap Ryanair daytrip there and back.
So would I. Insurance would presumably have excess anyway. Carrying it on your person reduces risk of theft or loss and gets around customs risk.

Back