Jajah internet phone service- with a difference

ninsaga

I came across this yesterday & am looking to know of anyones experience with it. Basically it is an internet phone service but operates somewhat differently than VOIP.

On the web, you enter the number you are calling from & the number you are dialing, then your phone rings & you pick up. Then the number you are calling is dialed & you continue as talking as normal unsing your own handset as opposed to a VOIP handset.

Jajah

I tested it last night as there is a 5min free trial & it looked to work OK.

Any thoughs on this?

ninsaga

nice one ninsaga. Main benefit i can see will be people with dialup can now use internet telephony. And you wont need a handset.

However, come to think of it, if someone has dialup and they want to use their phoneline to take the call while being online making the call ....:confused:

What are the system requirements?
JAJAH's requirements are very basic - any type of computer (PC / Mac / Linux etc.) with any type of internet connection (56k, ISDN, DSL, ADSL, Cables etc.) and one of the popular web browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Mozilla etc.). You will also need an available phone line (landline or mobile) to receive the call.

from Jahjah Faq

car said:
However, come to think of it, if someone has dialup and they want to use their phoneline to take the call while being online making the call ....:confused:

.. as far as I can see though, the big benefit will be on international dialing... wehre the rates look something like 2c per min to the US & the fact that you can use your own phone as opposed to getting a voip phone.
What I cann ot see though is how you will get billed for the calls ie are they relayed back through your normal bill or whether you need to pay into an account when you register etc.

Also, not sure if there are min call charges etc.

That's not outlined in the faq section

ninsaga

Looks interesting allright. Dont see an option to source a call from ireland?
However, it could have a very malicious angle if you were to connect two people by phone who might not want to speak to each other, since you dont have to use your own number!
Maybe connect partner to weightwatchers etc;)

billing. so it looks as tho they'll ask you "from time to time" for calls that youve made rather then calls youre going to make. risky business model.
Dont see an option to source a call from ireland
I did it easy enough

runner said:
Looks interesting allright. Dont see an option to source a call from ireland?
However, it could have a very malicious angle if you were to connect two people by phone who might not want to speak to each other, since you dont have to use your own number!
Maybe connect partner to weightwatchers etc;)

It works from Ireland allright... I looked at it from work initially & the default int dialing code came up at +44. But when I tried from home it changed to +353.

It seems to look good but there are a few things to be cleared up first. I also notice that they have refuted some allegations regarding Jajah being some sort of spyware application. But then again, wouldn't any VOIP provider be accused of that.

Thanks for pointing out the billing stuff car.... hadn't spotted it previously.
ninsaga

Just came across this crowd called http://www.call2.com/ (call2) theyre doing the same thing as jajah but theyve taken it a step further where you can make the calls either from the web or from your phone by call or text. See the site for details. They work on a prepaid basis. After a brief look at the rates they seem to more expensive then jahah tho. Check to be sure.

I have been using Jajah for 6 weeks now, and am happy with it. I have just paid my first 2.50 (!) and now Jajah have offered 100 free minutes if I provide 5 friends e-mail addresses to invite them to use the service.
Avoid 01818 numbers though as charges much higher - as I found to my cost today when phoning Aer Arann.

I am now having problems calling with JAJAH - the calls are not connecting , for the past few days -' your telephone is busy', they say....
Anyone else having similar problems with JAJAH?
Thanks in advance. Annamac

I tranferred from Eircom to B.T last week......
Unfortunately, my old windows 98 second edition not good enough for the sytem you suggested.
Are there any others I could try?
Thanks, Annamac

jdork said:
I don't think this works with NTL as NTL's ip addresses look like you are based in the UK. I didn't see any option to change the country prefix on JAJAH.

True. But all you do is email Jajah with your ip address (with NTL relatively static) and when you login the country prefix will be Irish.

annamac1 - I had similar problems in the last few days.

jdork said:
http://www.voipbuster.com/en/index.html offer a similar service with calls to some destinations being free but you have to pre load with credit. Been using this for a while.

This is not a similar service, as it requires a BB connection, whereas JaJah can be used without BB, which is the real selling point.

Back