J/A & short term let income?

maohallo

New Member
Messages
2
Hi,

First time poster!

I am in receipt of Jobseeker's allowance & I am considering renting out my holiday home on airbnb, while I am seeking full time work.

How does this/will this short term rental income affect my Jobseekers Allowance rate & what do I need to do? I can't find any information online as to how this is managed.

If this means, my jobseekers allowance is cancelled, it would not be worth my while bothering with it (sad but true).

Many thanks for insights/guidance/opinions!
 
How does this/will this short term rental income affect my Jobseekers Allowance rate & what do I need to do?

Changes in your circumstances​

When you have been awarded a social welfare payment, you must tell the DSP about any changes in your circumstances. If you do not, you may be fined or asked to repay any overpayment that may have occurred.

Read more about the means test on gov.ie.
Are you sure that you're on Jobseeker's Allowance and not Jobseeker's Benefit or Pay-Related Benefit? JA is means tested while the latter aren't and are linked to your PRSI contribution record.
 
Last edited:
If you are on Jobseekers allowance, then the holiday home should have been declared and assessed based on the capital value.
The link in Clubman's post should explain how property (other than your home) is assessed.
 
You should be very clear about the differences between JSB and JSA.

JSB is not means-tested.

JSA "the dole" is means-tested.
 
Back
Top