Ivory grout on tiles - dirty

D

Dell

My kitchen floor tiles are beige in colour and so we used grout that is ivory in colour - problem is that the grout is getting dirty (which is expected in a kitchen) and i am finding it impossible to clean - does anyone know how to clean the grout to bring it back to its original shade to remove the dirt, etc. Is it a big job to remove the grout from between floor tiles and re-grout? Any tips would be very welcome.

cleaner

I don't know much about cleaning grout but I was in Atlantic today and just happened to notice some kind of grout cleaning solution with attached applicator.
Sorry I can't be more specific but it might lead you in a useful direction.

Re: cleaner

Yes there is a great product by HG who do a cleaner range, we have terracotta tiles and bought their tile cleaner and it was fantastic, they came up like new, as did the grout in between. Its quite corrosive, think it was acid based so be careful it doesn't splash onto surrounding kitchen applicances/wood.

Re: cleaner

Sorry meant to say the HG range is available in Woodies, not sure if anywhere else do it, think I tried B&Q and they didn't stock it. Its a square bottle.

You might well be talking about Santrax cleaner. It is good at removing stains like cement etc. from tiles but it is extremely strong smelling and corrosive. It left a permanent mark on our steel sink and I would not recommend its use anywhere near children or asthmatics. It will take a few days for the smell to go out of the house also. Lenehans in Capel St. stock it. Not sure about B&Q or Woodies.

Thanks alot Elkii; is this HG range with the tiling products or somewhere else in Woodies? It sounds exactly what i'm looking for but I want to make sure I buy the same product that was recommended.
Sueellen, does the Santrax clean the grout between the tiles or just cement on tiles?
Thanks again for all this information as the last thing i want to do is remove the grout between the tiles which would be next to impossible.

Hi yes the HG range should be on a separate display near the tiles themselves. The one we used was for terracotta tiles and found it did the best job. The range is in white square bottles!

Dell,

The Santrax sound something very similar to the product that elkii speaks of. Woodies should be able to give you advice. I always find it best to go to their Customer Service Desk and ask there for whoever looks after the tile section rather just asking just any of the staff.

The floor tiles in my kitchen have grey grout which was quite badly stained in places. I used Cif spray and a toothbrush to clean the grout. It worked well.

You could also use a grouting pen - very effective I found - available in white or grey. Available at the usuals Woddies, Atlantic etc....

Back